Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Diesel swap, anyone?! (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20173)

Overlander 09-04-2013 07:29 PM

Diesel swap, anyone?!

I'm thinking again about a diesel swap into my '95 80... let's say I buy an engine of my choice and pay for it to be rebuild, balanced, etc - is there someone on this forum that this group would recommend for performing a successful diesel swap?!

Let's face it - I'm a shade-tree mechanic at best and I could not attempt this on my own - there is too much I don't know and I don't want to spend 2-3 yrs learning it the hard way.

Recommendations, thoughts plz -

Corbet 09-04-2013 08:48 PM

Justin at Redline?

You could also call Slee but I think he prefers to go down paths he has already worked out the details in advance. IE - 4.7 V8 swap.

Overlander 09-04-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbet (Post 238575)
Justin at Redline?

You could also call Slee but I think he prefers to go down paths he has already worked out the details in advance. IE - 4.7 V8 swap.

Is Redline some local shop here in town?!

Corbet 09-04-2013 09:01 PM

http://redlinelandcruisers.com

They have a banner ad in rotation at the top of the screen as well

Rezarf 09-04-2013 09:47 PM

Overlander, I think there are a lot of factors... In your situation and with the skills you have. It's gonna cost a boat load to swap in a desiel properly. If I were you (and I'm not ;) ) I'd hunt down a rig with the motor/drivetrain I want and then buy it.

I have talked with a few people who have gone down the desiel swap road and they each said to do it right was nearly 10k total.

I love to do it as well, but after talking to a lot of folks who have done a desiel swap, I have concluded the cost to benefit ratio just wasn't there for me.

On another note, I'd figure out which shops have done this swap successfully and take it to them, no matter where they are. BTB comes to mind... are they ICON now?

Either way I'd love to follow a build like this!

Overlander 09-04-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rezarf (Post 238584)
Overlander, I think there are a lot of factors... In your situation and with the skills you have. It's gonna cost a boat load to swap in a desiel properly. If I were you (and I'm not ;) ) I'd hunt down a rig with the motor/drivetrain I want and then buy it.

Yeah, it would be nice to find a good diesel rig to jump on... though wish I didn't love my Cruiser so much - I hate even the thought of selling it... and two Cruisers in my house would spell trouble from :Princess:

Corbet 09-05-2013 07:32 AM

Why the diesel swap in the first place?

TRD SC is probably the best mod bang for buck if you want power.

Overlander 09-05-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbet (Post 238590)
Why the diesel swap in the first place?

TRD SC is probably the best mod bang for buck if you want power.

I want better fuel efficiency, tired of $75 fillups before each and every trip, plus I make Bio Diesel myself.

BTW - I'm glad you're talking me down from it.... wish I could give up this long time quest.

rover67 09-05-2013 08:34 AM

I've always wanted to stick a ~2006 duramax in something.

I think it'd be a super neat project.

I also think that no matter who does it it will be a longer project than you think. It'll also be expensive but I am assuming you know that. I was looking a while back and it seemed like you could get a used wrecked Duramax dwork truck for around 10k. That seems like it'd be the best option it you went domestic on the motor. Staying Toyota I don't know much about other than when I wanted to swap in a diesel (6-7 years ago) I couldn't even find one (1HDT) to buy on the North American continent. I hear it has gotten more difficult due to new import regs lately.

Either way, I'd vote for Redline. give them a buzz and see what they say.

Corbet 09-05-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlander (Post 238593)
I want better fuel efficiency

Not worth it on that alone. Even if you doubled your MPG it would take a long time to recover the cost. Making you own fuel would help but even that costs you something. Plus the time.

I would love a diesel Cruiser but I'm not going to swap one in because I think it will be more cost effective. I will most likely import a JDM HZJ80 in a few years when they are legal and my FZJ80 is ready to retire. This will cost me a handful but I want one for the way they drive. Plus I love the 80 series platform.