Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   40 inspection (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20197)

iptman 09-09-2013 06:25 AM

40 inspection

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at a 40 in Boulder and could use some help with an inspection and opinion from some one local and knowledgeable. I've gone back and forth a couple times with the lady selling it and right now trying to schedule a time for some one to look at it. My brother just got stationed in Aurora so he'd be handling the transaction but he doesn't know much about cars let alone 30+ year old cruisers.

Thanks guys.

gr8fulabe 09-09-2013 07:09 AM

If its the blue 78, pass at 8k..
If it is something else, I might be able to help check it out. What are the details?
Best
Abe

rover67 09-09-2013 07:56 AM

I could possibly help if needed. Robbie would be a great go to person as well, I am sure you could pay him a little bit to do a formal inspection if you wanted.

Either way I can do it, maybe Abe and I can go together

iptman 09-09-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8fulabe (Post 238786)
If its the blue 78, pass at 8k..
If it is something else, I might be able to help check it out. What are the details?
Best
Abe

It is. What's the skinny on it? I was fairly sure if it was in decent shape it'd have been snatched up by one of you locals.

gr8fulabe 09-09-2013 08:19 PM

The couple selling seem nice enough & honest, and they'll tell you they don't really know cruisers/40's. They bought it a couple of years ago from someone, for her to tool around in it for the most part. The truck is a terrific 20 footer, but any closer than that and you can sell all of the rust bubbling through everywhere. Rust bubbling up all over under the paint, and a ton of really bad patches already built into it all over the place. It probably looked great when they bought it, and will likely look really, really bad in a couple of more years. If they had ever done any rough trail riding in it, I'm sure the bondo would have cracked in a million places.
It seems like it runs pretty well (although I didn't drive it). It started right up without any real effort. the tailpipe was cold to the touch, but the muffler was still hot, so it had been run at some point within the last 30 minutes to an hour I'm guessing. That could hide a lot of cold start problems, so I can't say how it starts & runs when it has been sitting for a couple of weeks.

The bottom line, I would have bought the truck at $5k, even with the rust, as it seems like it would look all right & be fun for a couple of years before needing a lot of work. But at 10k (price it was when I went & looked) or 8k, it seems way overpriced to me. I'm sure they are hoping to get some of their money back, and I'm sure they weren't not told about the bondo & such when they bought it. If you do consider buying it, know that it will need tons of body work one day soon.

Best,
Abe