Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   40 Factory(?) Chrome Package Info (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20211)

Crash 09-11-2013 02:14 PM

40 Factory(?) Chrome Package Info
 
Anyone know any specifics of the chrome package offered for the 40 series back in the day? Someone at the '13 RS Rally suggested that it was maybe a port installed option but I'd like to know more. Our 40 has a chrome front bumper, bezel and tow hooks and I'm wondering if chrome bumperettes may have been part of the package along with anything else.
Thanks!

subzali 09-11-2013 02:36 PM

I think your friend Commander Lee has a factory chrome package. You should call him. IIRC the bumperettes would have been included and I think it was shown in factory literature so not necessarily port-installed option. I forget what year is the earliest.

subzali 09-11-2013 02:39 PM

Looks like Ige had a factory chrome 71:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...ome-bezel.html

SteveH 09-11-2013 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My 1980 FJ40 had what appeared to be factory, chrome-plated running boards. The bezel was also plated, as were the bumperettes. The OEM front bumper was gone, so I cannot speculate on that.

Crash 09-11-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 238972)
My 1980 FJ40 had what appeared to be factory, chrome-plated running boards. The bezel was also plated, as were the bumperettes. The OEM front bumper was gone, so I cannot speculate on that.

Chrome running boards - haven't seen that as a part of the "official" package before. Thanks!! The bumperettes that came with our truck had been painted black so maybe looking under the paint wouldn't be a bad idea as it seems chrome bumperettes seem to be a part of the package.

rover67 09-11-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 238975)
Chrome running boards - haven't seen that as a part of the "official" package before. Thanks!! The bumperettes that came with our truck had been painted black so maybe looking under the paint wouldn't be a bad idea as it seems chrome bumperettes seem to be a part of the package.

oven cleaner!

nuclearlemon 09-12-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali (Post 238968)
Looks like Ige had a factory chrome 71:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...ome-bezel.html

yep, my first cruiser. chrome front bumper, bezel, and bumperettes. been a couple decades plus, so hard to remember and i got rid of the chrome. i looked in my pics and don't have any, but somewhere there's a pic that my buddy marcus took of my rig a couple years before we met and i think i still have the chrome bumper and bezel on in it

Rzeppa 09-12-2013 08:49 AM

My recollection is that this was called the "LX" trim package. Josh Boltrek has it on his 40 IIRC. They were primarily sent to non-USA markets, and I believe the JDM got most of them.

SteveH 09-12-2013 09:43 AM

Sadly, my running boards and bumperettes had just enough rust on them (creeping under the chrome) that I had them blasted and painted. I would have left them alone if they had been salvagable. I'm not a chrome fan, anyway. I had never seen factory chromed running boards, either.

subzali 09-12-2013 09:52 AM

Middle eastern markets got tons of chrome


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.