Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Green Bean Oil Leak (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20233)

akingf5371 09-15-2013 11:36 AM

Green Bean Oil Leak

6 Attachment(s)
Guys-
I need some help identifying a leak on Green Bean ('82 40). It is all stock, has had the t-case rebuilt and I just had the clutch replaced with the rear main seal. It seems to be a pretty small one but I need some 2nd opinions. I thought it was an oil pan gasket or oil plug gasket (which looks leaky) but I think the oil pan looks pretty dry. I thought maybe the PS box was leaking but it looks dry too. Throw some ideas at me!

akingf5371 09-15-2013 11:37 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More!

farnhamstj 09-15-2013 12:34 PM

clean everything including the floor. Park on top of a piece of cardboard and let it sit for a day or 2. See if you can better identify the location.

Looks like you have oil and coolant on the garage floor. those are 2 different problems.

Was it leaking before the clutch and rear main seal?

SteveH 09-15-2013 03:12 PM

Drips on the rear leaf spring bushing can be from your PS box. Clean it all and wipe it all down with towels (outside of oil pan, etc.) and then get in there a day later with a flashlight.

akingf5371 09-17-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farnhamstj (Post 239209)
clean everything including the floor. Park on top of a piece of cardboard and let it sit for a day or 2. See if you can better identify the location.

Looks like you have oil and coolant on the garage floor. those are 2 different problems.

Was it leaking before the clutch and rear main seal?

Good call. I always noticed a small oil drip but not the coolant leak no. I just moved into a house with a garage as opposed to the dirt parking spot I was in before, so in all honesty it could have been leaking prior to this but I never noticed.

subzali 09-17-2013 12:19 PM

I wish I had your oil leaks :(

There is a cam plug on the back of the engine block, was that checked? How about your side cover gasket? Sometimes that oil can migrate back and drip from your clutch inspection cover (which looks like the worst leak to me).

Unfortunately I think you would have to pull the tranny again to get to it :(

MDH33 09-17-2013 12:46 PM

My guess is that cam plug Matt mentioned, or else the new rear main didn't seat right or the seal surface is boogered causing it to leak even with a new seal.

nakman 09-17-2013 12:50 PM

Sometimes when you get the drip off the oil pan's little skid plate, it can be coming from the welds that hold that little skid plate on. This one:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...1&d=1379266610

I fixed this once with JB weld inside the pan.. :hill: With the pan off I could pull on the skid plate, and see where the metal was cracked.. of course now that I know what I know I'd most likely get it welded for real, but at the time JB seemed to fit the skill set, and budget. a repair that's still kickin', to my knowledge. so if you take the pan off, check it out.

akingf5371 09-17-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali (Post 239309)
I wish I had your oil leaks :(

There is a cam plug on the back of the engine block, was that checked? How about your side cover gasket? Sometimes that oil can migrate back and drip from your clutch inspection cover (which looks like the worst leak to me).

Unfortunately I think you would have to pull the tranny again to get to it :(

The side cover gasket is dirty, but dry. I did look there. The cam plug is something that you have to pull the tranny for, right? That will be the last one I check, but a good idea. How would that leak? I thought it was a solid plug?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDH33 (Post 239312)
My guess is that cam plug Matt mentioned, or else the new rear main didn't seat right or the seal surface is boogered causing it to leak even with a new seal.

A possibility.. the oil leak is very slow which I hope means it's the skid plate like Nak mentioned below

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakman (Post 239313)
Sometimes when you get the drip off the oil pan's little skid plate, it can be coming from the welds that hold that little skid plate on. This one:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...1&d=1379266610

I fixed this once with JB weld inside the pan.. :hill: With the pan off I could pull on the skid plate, and see where the metal was cracked.. of course now that I know what I know I'd most likely get it welded for real, but at the time JB seemed to fit the skill set, and budget. a repair that's still kickin', to my knowledge. so if you take the pan off, check it out.

This seems like a likely culprit. I will clean everything off and check this weekend.

akingf5371 09-17-2013 02:12 PM

Does anyone have a tranny jack I could borrow for a bit?