Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Hunting and Fishing (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Pondering trip to NW Colorado for Elk (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20253)

azcromntic 09-19-2013 09:46 AM

Pondering trip to NW Colorado for Elk

Okay, now that I have my map oriented right. Anyone like to plan a trip to NW Colorado for Elk?

azcromntic 09-19-2013 09:48 AM

(this post copied from errant post "Pondering trip to NE Colorado for Elk"; it should have been NW).

This year might be a pinch but I'm wanting to plan an elk hunt with a few other hunters for the NW Colorado area. Anyone interested?

I'm not sure what I'll do this year. I thought I had a hunt lined up but they changed their minds and decided to go archery. I sold my bow to buy some golf clubs; what a mistake that was. If you can use another hunter then please let me know.

I have been on five hunts in Colorado; one archery. I tagged one Elk and one Deer (different years). I'm a bit rusty since that was like 20 years ago. I recently hunted Turkey and did some fishing but mostly I spend too much time working and fixing my house. I need some Elk hunting. Plus I need to use my Land Cruiser for something other than trips to Pueblo Resevoir, Eleven Mile and Manitou Lake.

MDH33 09-22-2013 06:46 PM

2014? My plans for this season were made last year. ;)

Where NW? I thought that corner was all draw requiring a bazillion preference points.

azcromntic 09-22-2013 08:50 PM

Not that I recall. Yeah, draw areas for cow but still huntable for Bull OTC for most all of them I believe. I'll have to double check now that you mention it; it's been a few years.

Yeah, a whole year of planning would be good. Maybe we could pick two or three places, take the cruisers up (or one cruiser) and check em out.

I'm in Colorado Springs so it's a pretty far drive in the cruiser (gas wise) so I might be able to find someone up north to park my cruiser up there. Then I can drive my gas saver (Honda) to the cruiser and then take that to the destination.

Anyway...I think most any area north of I-70 and west of say Hot Sulfur Springs could be at least researched and then the one that fits could be scouted out.

Jenny Cruiser 09-22-2013 10:28 PM

My neighbor was telling me about hunting on Fort Carson yesterday. Not sure he knows what he's talking about, but sounds like fun if he does.

azcromntic 10-16-2013 01:16 AM

So I finally got a little time to look again at the regs. So this year I put in for the preference point (there is a special code for that) and got a point. Now I can buy an OTC license or a left-over license and still hunt albeit for a bull.

You can buy the OTC for any unit but would probably be better to buy one for the unit you plan to hunt with the preference point next year. Anyway, only 2nd and 3rd season for OTC. 4th season a person could pick up a left-over license for a draw area and if I'm not mistake that's either a cow or a bull (but not "either sex").

Anyway...I sold my 80 series because too much blue smoke was coming out of it. I wanted to buy a 100 but I don't have that much money; those things are EXPENSIVE! So, now that I drive a Durango I suppose I'm out of the club and will be searching for other hunters elswhere right? Well, peeps over at Ih8mud would have me believe so.

Let me know if anyone is still interested. There's still time for 3rd season this year. I won't be able to go second season.