Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   E-tires, lugnuts, ditches, and emissions... (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20300)

treerootCO 10-01-2013 06:55 PM

E-tires, lugnuts, ditches, and emissions...

I got the card in the mail that my 1995 FJZ80 requires an emissions test. It is currently equipped with 35" tires so every one on the forum knows I am forced to "borrow" tires in order for the state to accurately test my vehicle on the dyno (I/M240).

Politics aside, I have some 16" wagon wheels on the '65 FJ45lpb and need to know how safe it will be to bolt those to my '95 using my 80's lugnuts. I DO NOT want to end up in the ditch in a ball. The E-test center is a mile from my house so all I need is it to make it there, run their POS test, and make it home.

Thank you in advance...I wish there were reasonable accommodations to test my vehicle safely but here we are...

http://aircarecolorado.com/index.php...k-information/

Q.
Wheel Sizes and Dynamometers?
A.
Front wheel and all wheel drive vehicles with low profile rim sizes 17 inches or larger in diameter, or vehicles with wheel sizes larger than 34 inches cannot be safely tested on the dynamometer.

Only vehicles with manufacturer-equipped undersized or oversized tires that do not fit safely on the dynamometer will be authorized by the state to undergo an idle test instead of a dynamometer test. Vehicles with tires larger or smaller than original equipment that do not fit safely on the dynamometer must be returned to stock condition for testing. Vehicles with non-original undersized or oversized tires will not receive authorization from the state for an idle test.

http://aircarecolorado.com/index.php...r-im-240-test/

I/M 240 Exceptions

Because of OEM design and/or safety considerations, some 1982 and newer vehicles are not tested on the dynamometer, but are instead tested with the Two-Speed Idle Test. These include but are not limited to:

Corvette, 2005, low-profile stock tires
Cadillac Escalade EXT model, all wheel drive with a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, 2002 newer
Cooper Mini S, 2002
Daihatsu Rocky, all wheel drive, 1991
Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, optional full-time four-wheel drive model with a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, 2000 and newer
Dodge Stealth R/T, all wheel drive, with manufacturer-equipped 17 or 18 inch wheels, 1991 and newer
Ford Special Edition Jack Roush Mustang, 2000 and newer
GMC Sierra Denali XL model, all wheel drive with a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, 2002 and newer
GMC Yukon Denali XL model, all wheel drive with a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, 2001 and newer
Isuzu Vehicross, all wheel drive, 1999-2002
Landrover Defender 90, all wheel drive, 1994, 1995 & 1997
Mercedes-Benz 500, V-8 with traction control, 1990 and newer
Mercedes-Benz 600 SL and 600 SEL, 1992 and newer
Mitsubishi 3000 GT, all wheel drive, with manufacturer-equipped 17 or 18 inch wheels, 1991 and newer
Porsche Carrera C-4 and 4S Coupe, Cabriolet and Targa models, all wheel drive, 1989 and newer
Porsche 911 Twin Turbo, all wheel drive, 1996 & 1997
Toyota Rav 4, two-door, all wheel drive, 1996;Volvo 850, with manufacturer-equipped 17 or 18 inch wheels, 1993-1996
Kit, custom or homemade cars, all model years
Handicapped-plated vehicles with adaptive equipment such as hand controls and lacking foot pedals, all model years
Stretch limousines having a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, and having non-disengagable all-wheel/four-wheel drive or non-disengagable traction control systems, all model years.
Hybrid electric vehicles, such as the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight, and other alternatively powered vehicles do not currently require emissions inspections.

Here's a fun fact!

Let's say you own a Toyota RAV4! you read that correctly, it cannot be tested on the dyno and the state will allow a two speed idle test.... what's that?! the two speed idle test doesn't test NOx. Awesome....

http://aircarecolorado.com/index.php...981-and-older/

1981 and Older (2-speed idle) Test

The two-speed idle test is performed on 1981 and older gasoline-powered passenger cars and light duty trucks, and on 1982 and newer gasoline-powered, heavy duty vehicles with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) greater than 8,500 lbs. The idle test uses a tachometer and a probe to monitor idle emissions. This test analyzes the carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions, but not oxides of nitrogen (NOx). There is no driving simulation.

nakman 10-01-2013 08:10 PM

I would be wary of that swap with the presumption that your 80 uses the shank-style lugs, and your 45 rims likely has the conical style? Those shankers would bottom out before they held the rim tight to anything. Is there a reason you can't also use the 45's nuts?

powderpig 10-01-2013 08:13 PM

The stock 95-97 80 series lug nuts for the hub centric wheel have a taper to allow the use of steel wheels in an temporary time period. So, for your situation Mike I would think you would be OK. It is done this way as spares in some situations are steel. As for if the your cruiser will tip over with the use of small tires, that will be any one's guess.

Rzeppa 10-02-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powderpig (Post 239870)
The stock 95-97 80 series lug nuts for the hub centric wheel have a taper to allow the use of steel wheels in an temporary time period. So, for your situation Mike I would think you would be OK. It is done this way as spares in some situations are steel. As for if the your cruiser will tip over with the use of small tires, that will be any one's guess.

Another thing to consider is that most 80 series sold in 3rd world countries had steel wheels with the conical lug seats and conical lugs. You should be fine.

Firetacoma 10-03-2013 08:11 AM

When I last did my Tacoma (2007 TRD) they did the tailpipe test. I asked why and they told me that the traction control wouldn't work on the treadmill. I told them you can disengage it and they said that it would automatically reengage over a certain speed. I am pretty sure they're full of it and they still charged me the full treadmill test price. I hate emissions testing with a passion.

rockrod 10-04-2013 12:42 PM

I ran my 80 on the rollers at the Littleton location with 315s. No problems with the awd dyno.

sleeoffroad 10-05-2013 04:32 AM

Man, this helps me a lot! I have one of those!

"Stretch limousines having a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, and having non-disengagable all-wheel/four-wheel drive or non-disengagable traction control systems, all model years."

treerootCO 10-05-2013 02:33 PM

6 Attachment(s)
10/5/2013
........................Readings.....................Limits.........................Results
HC GPM..............0.2374........................2.0000.......................PASS
CO GPM..............6.7235......................20.0000.......................PASS
CO2 GPM............603.6814............................................................
NOx GPM............2.0159........................4.0000.......................PASS

9/29/2011
........................Readings.....................Limits.........................Results
HC GPM..............0.7524........................2.0000.......................PASS
CO GPM..............6.5830......................20.0000.......................PASS
CO2 GPM............648.0535............................................................
NOx GPM............2.6888........................4.0000.......................PASS

9/25/2009
HC GPM..............0.3629........................2.0000.......................PASS
CO GPM..............1.8768......................20.0000.......................PASS
CO2 GPM............526.7269............................................................
NOx GPM............0.7298........................4.0000.......................PASS

10/31/2007
HC GPM..............0.4814........................4.0000.......................PASS
CO GPM..............9.2467......................20.0000.......................PASS
CO2 GPM............668.7976............................................................
NOx GPM............0.9860........................9.0000.......................PASS

• removed roof rack, tent, lights
  • removed front bumper and winch
  • removed back bumper and spare tire
  • removed sliders
  • emptied drawers
  • bought a new OEM gas cap
  • replaced the air cleaner
  • cleaned the MAF
  • sealed and tightened the air intake connections
    (white lithium)
  • cleaned the throttle body
  • changed the oil
  • went for a 180 mile road trip that ended at the testing station
    I like the Fredrick station - exit 235 off I-25 and one light from highway off ramp
  • unplugged the batteries for a day prior to the test
    this fixed my high idle issue - was at 1200, dropped to 650 or so
  • O/D off
  • heater on hot - fans off
    ran the rear heater to circulate coolant
  • windows and sunroof open
    this allows the driver to hear the engine/tires and appears to result in a smoother test with less WOT/rapid decelleration
  • headlights and all electrical accessories off
  • 3/4 full tank of 91 octane
    shell if that matters
  • wore respectable clothes
    it works
  • cleaned the truck and interior
    If I care about the car, perhaps they will care about the test
  • newer cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires
  • new exhaust with two new cats
  • three bottles of HEET in the tank
    red not yellow - Isopropyl alcohol
  • over inflated the tires to 65psi
  • 2ND start off
  • PWR off
  • waited for cool day - ambient temperature 59 degrees
  • Swapped the tires from 35x12.5x17 to LT235/86R16 (31s?)
    I weighed them for fun -
    35Toyo/Hutch = 135lbs
    e-tires and rims = 74lbs

Attachment 34765

Attachment 34766

Attachment 34767

Attachment 34768

Attachment 34769

Attachment 34770

treerootCO 10-05-2013 02:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got pulled over in Ft.Collins for not having a front license plate and driving a truck in pieces. He wanted to make sure I didn't steal it.

Attachment 34771

Idle back to 650 after resetting the computer

Attachment 34772

First test no CEL - second trip through (4th pass) P401 came on. They did change the law so a CEL isn't an automatic failure. I had to run the test 4 times because the first passed the sniffer but, they failed me for not having two catalytic converters. The gal there was really nice and she crawled under the truck and verified the two bumps were in fact two cats.

Attachment 34773

PASSED!!!!!!!!!! :)

Attachment 34774

Rzeppa 10-05-2013 09:37 PM

Interesting how that whole "grams per mile" thing was never a requirement or parameter when our rigs were design, built and certified. But now the lawmakers of state of Colorado, have decided to usurp the original federal rules and standards that the automakers designed, built and sold their vehicles to and will instead impose new state rules with no regard to their constituents. This is kinda like the people's republik of kalifornia and their CARB.