Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   CB radio recommendations ? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20356)

imhighlander 10-13-2013 09:42 AM

CB radio recommendations ?

For the cognoscenti, what do you recommend for CB radios? I'm looking but am a neophyte; my last exposure to CBs was about 35 years ago on an early road trip with my dad. I'm looking for something that's either portable or one I'd hard wire in to the FZJ80 for trail runs, road trips, Moab trips, etc.

What features do you recommend as must haves, nice to haves, and do withouts, and what particular brands and models do you like or dislike?

Thanks,
Matt

DanS 10-13-2013 09:46 AM

Get a simple one.

Don't get the Cobra 75WXST. You know, the all in one CB thing. The speaker on it sucks, and it's more expensive than a simple one.

You want one with a volume control, squelch, and a channel knob. Not much else. That'll keep it simple for trail rides and road trips. Uniden, Cobra and Radioshack all make fine examples of these.

That's my 2 cents. If you want something more capable than that, you're spinning your wheels with the CB. Start studying for your HAM....

Dan

Caribou Sandstorm 10-13-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanS (Post 240437)
Get a simple one.

Don't get the Cobra 75WXST. You know, the all in one CB thing. The speaker on it sucks, and it's more expensive than a simple one.

You want one with a volume control, squelch, and a channel knob. Not much else. That'll keep it simple for trail rides and road trips. Uniden, Cobra and Radioshack all make fine examples of these.

That's my 2 cents. If you want something more capable than that, you're spinning your wheels with the CB. Start studying for your HAM....

Dan

I have the Cobra, yep it is ok at best but really for the limited time I use it, once a year, it does the trick. One less console to mount. HAM is the way to go.

imhighlander 10-13-2013 12:56 PM

I'm just looking for the best bang for the buck in order to comply with trail run requirements for TLCA Moab runs, etc. just simple but reliable.

subzali 10-13-2013 01:37 PM

Been running the uniden 210 for years with no issues. Cheap and effective

Fishy 10-13-2013 04:01 PM

I agree with the simple and cheap philosophy. I have had the same Cobra HH33 with mag mount for over 15 years. It cost almost nothing, I only carry it when it's needed. It installs and comes out in less that two minutes.

It just plugs into the aux outlet, the mag mount sticks to the roof and plugs into the HH unit and I'm done. When I'm not using it, it stays in a box in the garage.

Rezarf 10-13-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanS (Post 240437)
Get a simple one.

Dan

I have a 75wxst got it off ebay for $40, great radio, all CB radios speakers suck :hill:

smslavin 10-13-2013 05:50 PM

I've got a Midland 75-822. All in one deal. Doesn't suck. Speaker and volume are decent. Make sure you tune the antenna.

Corbet 10-13-2013 09:16 PM

Another vote for the Midland. I've had it since 2007. I have a Firestick antenna hard wired and just use the cig lighter 12v supply. If I need to go mobile the battery pack and rubber ducky are in my center console. I find the built in speaker just fine.

https://midlandusa.com/cb-radios/pro...5-822cb-radio/

Hulk 10-13-2013 11:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If your stock stereo has gone kaput, you can do what I did:
Looks great. Attached is an old photo -- I have replaced the old Sony with a Pioneer unit now.