Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   more VW tech - 1.8t (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20445)

nakman 10-31-2013 10:42 PM

more VW tech - 1.8t

Have a CEL on the Passat. PO456 - Powertrain. Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (very small leak)

found a thread that suggests a purge valve http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2375447.

I poked around and did some jigglin' but didn't really find anything. Unfortunately all those hose clamps are the crimp style, they don't have screws on them to tighten.. guess I could smash them all with pliers for grins. :confused:

Found another site that suggested a faulty gas cap. Given that I passed emissions about 2 months ago, I'm thinking that's not it.. though guess it could be.

Any chance someone here has fixed this before?

kbahus 11-01-2013 12:01 AM

Check out the grey check valve that comes off the purge valve. They are notorious for randomly deteriorating and creating a leak, usually on the bottom of the seam in the middle of the valve where it's hard to see without really looking.

Rzeppa 11-01-2013 12:23 PM

My wife Linda's '01 New Beetle has the 1.8T, but I haven't seen that code. I get the code that says I have uneven flow in the secondary air injection system. It's from the plastic fitting on the air cleaner housing that's cracked. I have duct taped it but it still leaks a little. I can reset the code and it will go for several hours (couple days) of driving before it pops up again.

That is a fun car to drive, but it is poorly built and is falling apart at just over 115k miles. Everything that's plastic on it is breaking and unfortunately most of the car is made of plastic, including a lot of the cooling system components like the radiator tanks and all the fittings. I have replaced a lot of that stuff, including the electric fans (they are plastic and broke), the switch for the fan for the AC/heater and just a whole bunch of stuff.

nakman 11-01-2013 03:59 PM

Yeah they only thing these really have going for them is how common the engine is, IMO- they are on Audi's & VW's everywhere, which means lots of tech resources & parts. I can't stand working on it though- I dropped the oil filter and got oil everywhere, and it took me 2 hours to change the air filter :rant:

Meanwhile my Land Cruiser has twice the miles, twice the age, and half the issues of any other vehicle we own. thanks for the tip kbahus, I will check that out when I get back into this. Strangely, the CEL went out at lunch today, even though the code is still in there when I scan for it. Maybe it fixed itself. But now the door doesn't lock with the keyfob.:banghead:

60wag 11-01-2013 08:03 PM

I don't know if all of the European vehicles use as much ABS plastic as SAAB did but I hate that stuff. It gets really brittle and cracks as it ages. The wiring connectors on Cruisers are 10x better because you can separate them without fear of breaking them, interior trim panels and under hood plastic too.

Rzeppa 11-01-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakman (Post 241465)
Yeah they only thing these really have going for them is how common the engine is, IMO- they are on Audi's & VW's everywhere, which means lots of tech resources & parts. I can't stand working on it though- I dropped the oil filter and got oil everywhere, and it took me 2 hours to change the air filter :rant:

Meanwhile my Land Cruiser has twice the miles, twice the age, and half the issues of any other vehicle we own. thanks for the tip kbahus, I will check that out when I get back into this. Strangely, the CEL went out at lunch today, even though the code is still in there when I scan for it. Maybe it fixed itself. But now the door doesn't lock with the keyfob.:banghead:

I'm totally with you on what a PITA they are to work on. On the bug in particular, it is clear that the designers said to the engineers "Here's the body" and left it to the engineers to shoehorn everything under the hood. Changing the battery takes about an hour.

But, it does get 34 MPG, has heated seats, a moonroof and goes like a bat out of heck with that turbo. It also handles really well and does much better than our Yaris in the snow.

74fj40 11-01-2013 11:45 PM

Unfortunately a small leak could be a handful of things. Youd be lucky to get a large leak. Typicall it is almosy always a gas cap or some sort of major damage to the evap system.

A purge valve can be the culprit of small and large leaks. There is also a pump in the system whoch can also cause a small leak. Any where air can get past, weird things ive seen that have kicked my butt at work are in tank pump seals leaking out air, cracked charcoal canister, the purge valve installed incorrectly. Alllll sorts of stuff, pretty difficult to diagnose without a smoke machine but still doable with lots of patience.