Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Chainsaw problems - where is good service shop?! (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20451)

Overlander 11-03-2013 08:15 AM

Chainsaw problems - where is good service shop?!

My Stihl Farmboss works fine (most of the time) - yesterday was a perfect example: worked fine morning 'till about 1:00pm - no issues starting, restarting.

After lunch, it wouldn't start for s&it - no matter what I tried. It sure was flooded eventually, so I took the spark plug out, let it sit 10-15mins... re-tried. Still no start - did that all afternoon, while cursing quietly and steaming...:mad:

Spark plug is new - in case you're wondering.

So, I need to have someone look at it. I'm up north (Westminster) - does anyone know of a good reputable service shop that can service this thing?!

:thumb:

Woodsman 11-03-2013 09:04 AM

Air filters and gas are the biggest issues I've run into.

The ethanol in most gas eats up the hoses and gaskets in these small engines. I've started using additives which "neutralize" the alcohol and hope this works.

Did you have the on switch flipped the right way ? hehe It happens.

Shotshell 11-03-2013 11:15 AM

I would definitely recomend cleaning the air filter. Maybe change the fuel filter. Definitely use a fuel additive that neutralizes that stupid ethanol crap. You can find that kind of additive at Home Depot or Lowes.

Sorry, I don't know of any good service shops around here. (haven't lived here long)

Squishy! 11-03-2013 12:19 PM

Pm RedChili. There is a shop in aspen park/conifer that took REALLY good care of him. He'll recommend it to anyone that'll listen.

Overlander 11-03-2013 01:23 PM

Yeah, I've set the switch right on Choke from cold (after lunch) and tried a few times (about 10) but it didn't "cough" like it should normally. Took out the air filter and the spark plug, let it vent, tried without air filter on it and even tried spraying starting fluid into it.

My gas had Stabil in it - but I dumped it and filled up with somone else's gas that was running his chain saw next to me... embarrassingly my Stihl refused to work after lunch.... no matter what I did... lazy cr&p.

Ok - thx for the leads.

Uncle Ben 11-03-2013 02:26 PM

Earls Saw Shop in Boulder is top notch!

baja1d 11-03-2013 03:17 PM

Heard good things about Arvada Rentals. Most of the local fire departments send their saws to them

Overlander 11-03-2013 06:53 PM

Thx for suggestions - I tried the bloody thing again today... and wouldnj't you konw it - it fired right up on the second pull..... lazy thing didn't want to work yesterday in the cleanup - could have used it then... but today it works fine... Crappy thing. It's off to the shop anyway -

Thx

baja1d 11-03-2013 07:18 PM

Sounds like a clogged pickup tube inside the tank. I've got an old Jonsered that does the same thing

Inukshuk 11-03-2013 07:29 PM

Tennyson Hardware