Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Ham & CB Radio Corner (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   CO 4x4 Trails That Lead To Mountain Summits (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20608)

Seldom Seen 12-12-2013 04:42 PM

CO 4x4 Trails That Lead To Mountain Summits

No, This is not in the wrong section.

I was talking with a member of the Colorado QRP Club the other day and the discussion turned to SOTA and what Mountain peaks could be reached by 4X4. Seem the QRP club has a number of members that are unable to handle long approaches to many of the SOTA peaks. I started to compile a list as I think this might be a great opportunity to further intertwine both hobbies.

So far I've come up with:
1) Mt Bross
2) Mt Lincoln
3) Pikes Peak
4) Mt Evens
5) Mt Antero
6) Twin Cone
7) Red Cone
8) Crystal Mt.
9) Mt Princeton
10) McLellan Mountain
11) Trinchera Peak

The criteria is: It doesn't have to be a 14er, it does need to be a definitive peak that is named on a USGS map and has a legit route that is on MVUM. The trail doesn't need to go over or end exactly on the summit but needs to be close enough that someone, carrying radio gear, could reach the actual summit with a short hike.

Post up anything you can think of and I'll cross reference with the SOTA list.

DaveInDenver 12-12-2013 05:02 PM

I think you hit on one important distinction. Although summits with roads are acceptable SOTA does not allow operation from a vehicle or anyway connected to a vehicle to count as a valid activation. The equipment must be carried by the activating team but how far is not defined.

Power must be stand-alone battery, solar or similar. No fossil fuels and no fixed source.

I don't think anyone means to be exclusive but I believe the spirit of SOTA is activate summits that would otherwise be relatively difficult and unusual. Putting Mt. Evans or Pikes Peak isn't a huge challenge. I think walking across a parking lot is not sufficient to count, it would have to be a legitimate hike from a trailhead, but that's just my opinion.

Probably should get in touch with Steve, WG0AT, about it, too.

http://w0-sota.org

Seldom Seen 12-12-2013 05:29 PM

Dave, you are correct, to be considered an official activation you can not operate from/use your truck or genset for power. SOTA rules place no restrictions on how you approach the summit or how your equipment gets to the top, 4X4, helicopter, mountain bike, mule, motorcycle or goat are all fair game. The operator, however, must ascend the final 75 feet of elevation under their own power.

WG0AT with others activated Pikes last year by driving to the summit and setting up. They then descended/re-ascended 75' on foot to make it an official activation.

DaveInDenver 12-13-2013 06:16 AM

Cool, the 75' elevation gain/loss helps define it.

AxleIke 12-13-2013 10:19 AM

I dunno much about the Ham aspect, but as far as summits go, I had thought that the road up Bross was closed. If its open, that is awesome.

Same with Lincoln, but again, I'll be really stoked if that is in error!

Jacket 12-13-2013 11:18 AM

You can get pretty far up on the Mt Princeton - above timberline as I recall. There is a hike to to the summit, but as far as 14'ers go, it's pretty easy.

subzali 12-13-2013 01:17 PM

McLellan Mountain via Argentine Pass/Leavenworth Road would probably fit the criteria.

Trinchera Peak (13,530') down by Cuchara Pass has a road that goes to a saddle at 12,677' feet.

The Mt. Princeton Road goes up to about 12,126', with the summit being at 14,197', but with a sub-peak in between the road and the summit.

Seldom Seen 12-13-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AxleIke (Post 243469)
I dunno much about the Ham aspect, but as far as summits go, I had thought that the road up Bross was closed. If its open, that is awesome.

Same with Lincoln, but again, I'll be really stoked if that is in error!

The town of Alma Parks Dept took over the administration of the summits of Bross and Lincoln and is managing them as city parks. The summits are currently closed to motor vehicles until the town, claim holders and The USFS can work out the safest route to the summits. The summit of Bross is accessible via the trail from Kite Lake, this trail can also be accessed by descending from the saddle between Bross and Cameron, joining up with the trail and ascending to the summit. I'm unsure about access to Lincoln.

I've included them in this list 'cuz I'm hopeful they will be fair game soon.