Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Kifaru (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20680)

Caribou Sandstorm 01-04-2014 11:27 AM

Kifaru

Ok I have probably been living under a rock... But have you all seen this store/web site?

http://www.kifaru.net

They are local Colorado. Really cool stuff. I am in the market for a tepee style canvas tent with a stove. I think the owner's name is Frank and has a pretty extensive history with making this stuff.

Hulk 01-04-2014 11:43 AM

I'm curious: why do you want a tepee rather than just having a tent?

MDH33 01-04-2014 01:01 PM

I have one of their packs and bunch of the pockets. I use it doing my ranger/trails work. Great stuff and really well made (in the USA). the founder of the company is Patrick Smith. He started Mountainsmith back in the day and then sold that and started Kifaru as I understand it. I've been to their Wheat Ridge factory and they were super helpful.

I haven't tried any of their tents, but I'm sure they are top notch and you'll get great customer service for sure. They're also not canvas.

Caribou Sandstorm 01-04-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hulk (Post 244192)
I'm curious: why do you want a tepee rather than just having a tent?

They do pretty well in winter camping, wind, etc.. and I want the stove chimney up the middle so family all sleeps together around the stove that is in the center.

Or a place to hang out as a group to get warm before eveyone turns in.

I wonder if it would make since for the club to have a few of these and share with eachother.

wesintl 01-04-2014 01:46 PM

those tipis are $. probably better off finding a montana canvas off CL

Caribou Sandstorm 01-04-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDH33 (Post 244199)
I have one of their packs and bunch of the pockets. I use it doing my ranger/trails work. Great stuff and really well made (in the USA). the founder of the company is Patrick Smith. He started Mountainsmith back in the day and then sold that and started Kifaru as I understand it. I've been to their Wheat Ridge factory and they were super helpful.

I haven't tried any of their tents, but I'm sure they are top notch and you'll get great customer service for sure. They're also not canvas.

I personally don't like floorless tents and never felt the need for a stove/heat in my tent, but that's just personal preference. I like to be dry and have no creepy crawlies on me. ;)

Yes your correct on the owner's name and Mountainsmith. That is exactly what Tom said to me from the REI rental dep. at the Denver store. Not sure where I got Frank.. Lol

MDH33 01-04-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesintl (Post 244203)
those tipis are $. probably better off finding a montana canvas off CL

Wes has the right idea Chris. :thumb:

... And maybe you'll let me borrow it next hunting season? :hill:

Caribou Sandstorm 01-05-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDH33 (Post 244207)
Wes has the right idea Chris. :thumb:

... And maybe you'll let me borrow it next hunting season? :hill:

Those are nice also. I do like the floor of the Montana tipis, they have a cut out for the stove.

Cheeseman 01-05-2014 09:47 PM

Mountainsmith is some of the best stuff for the trails and any that is needed. So he knows what he is talking about.

Corbet 01-06-2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm (Post 244200)
I want the stove chimney up the middle so family all sleeps together around the stove that is in the center.

Or a place to hang out as a group to get warm before eveyone turns in.

Wouldn't it be easier to add something to your existing expo set up? Like a heater to the RTT or an add a room with heat?

Or are you looking for something packable for the "foot serviced" backcountry? But that 24 person tipi looks like a winner at BFE in March.