Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Behind the Rocks (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20783)

mad chemist 01-24-2014 03:24 PM

Behind the Rocks

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get a feel for just how tough Behind the Rocks is for a short wheelbase vehicle, prior to registration opening up? I've got my 40 on 37's, locked front and rear, and reasonably experienced in wheeling. I've flopped my truck before, but I'm just not a big fan of "death wheeling".

Looking forward to CM2014!:thumb:

ScaldedDog 01-25-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad chemist (Post 245285)
Hi guys,

I'm trying to get a feel for just how tough Behind the Rocks is for a short wheelbase vehicle, prior to registration opening up? I've got my 40 on 37's, locked front and rear, and reasonably experienced in wheeling. I've flopped my truck before, but I'm just not a big fan of "death wheeling".

Looking forward to CM2014!:thumb:

The only place SWB vehicles have problems is on High Dive and Upchuck, both early in the trail, and both bypassable. White Knuckle would be an obvious challenge, but it is usually skipped - the group turns around before going down it - and most folks take a strap with some big burly dudes on the end of it if it isn't skipped.

Just so you know, I've never been behind the wheel of a 40, so my advice and free and worth twice what you paid.

Mark

Hulk 01-25-2014 11:58 AM

You're set up to be able to do the entire trail. I did the whole thing in my FJ40 on 33" tires a few years ago (except that I couldn't get up Upchuck). If you go down White Knuckle, they'll put a strap on your back bumper to keep you from doing an endo. Great trail, highly recommended.

Corbet 01-25-2014 05:33 PM

Running it last year the Gardian IMO would be the hardest obstacle and its right off the bat. No bypass but you should be OK as equipped. Everything else has a bypass if need be.

You can always watch the vids on youtube to get an idea of whats out there…

mad chemist 01-26-2014 07:09 PM

Thanks for the input guys, sounds like I need to try it!

Corbet 03-18-2014 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
optional

JadeRunner 03-18-2014 11:36 PM

That was pretty cool watching you come down that last year Corbet. I always bypass that decent because of the last drop. Which you already cleared after that picture was snapped. Well done.

I agree the first guardian obstacle is the hardest one for the group overall. You will have a blast on it David:thumb:

Fishy 03-19-2014 12:17 AM

Corbet, can I use that photo for TLCA? Love it.

Corbet 03-19-2014 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishy (Post 248142)
Corbet, can I use that photo for TLCA? Love it.

Sure, photo credit goes to Farnham St John using my iPhone :D If you need the original file PM me with an email address.