Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   4Wheeling and Event Staging Area (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Moab Feb 9th? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20807)

woytovich 01-28-2014 02:01 PM

Moab Feb 9th?

There is a possibility that I, along with 2 other Gotham City Land Cruisers members, will be in Moab on Sunday Feb 9th. We will be there on a trip back east after picking up a FZJ80 in Phoenix. We are considering this side trip to Moab to run something easy, mostly for the scenic experience (the other 2 have been there for Cruise Moab, I'm a virgin)

My questions are:

1. Is it ill advised to go there at this time of year due to the weather?

2. If we do go does anyone want to join us?

Mark

baja1d 01-28-2014 03:13 PM

Just watch the weather. Cold nights but really nice days

DaveInDenver 01-28-2014 03:35 PM

Not a bad time of year at all. Low chance of snow in the valley but there will be snow in the La Sals. Should be quiet there, too. Are you going to stop for just the one day in Moab?

woytovich 01-28-2014 03:40 PM

The plan is for just the one day. Drive up from Phoenix on Saturday, sleep in Moab area, run a bit on Sunday and maybe head out Sunday night or Monday am...

Anyone want to play on Sunday?

SteveH 01-28-2014 03:48 PM

You might do well to get the Charles Wells book on Moab trails, so you can best use your limited time there on do-able trails.

woytovich 01-28-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 245565)
You might do well to get the Charles Wells book on Moab trails, so you can best use your limited time there on do-able trails.

My buddies have been there and have some ideas on trails that won't be a problem with the 80 with a slight lift, lockers and BFG MTs.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

JadeRunner 01-28-2014 06:02 PM

Sorry I wont be able to join you. Have fun.

I had a blast leading the Gotham City crew on the Spike 2 years ago. Birdman wheels like crazy!

cbmontgo 01-28-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woytovich (Post 245566)
My buddies have been there and have some ideas on trails that won't be a problem with the 80 with a slight lift, lockers and BFG MTs.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Lockhart Basin Road is close to Moab, is BLM land, and is beautiful. Sometimes the north entry outside of Moab can present a challenge, but you can enter from the south on 211 and just cruise. Food for thought.

nakman 01-28-2014 07:17 PM

I was through there on New Year's and there was snow just about everywhere... most I've seen. Now it could have all melted by now, but it's a definite possibility.. just stick to the sunnier trails (sand flats area, for example) and try to avoid something that descends down into a canyon or something (thinking like BFE, you could get totally stuck down there).

But yes Moab has been, can, and should be wheeled year round! have fun. :)

Corbet 01-28-2014 08:35 PM

Generally Moab is similar to Durango in snow. We don't have squat right now. It has not snowed here since before X-mas.

Pending my schedule I could be a last minute attendee.

Fins and Hells would be two trails that melt out faster than most. Both good candidates for a quick run.