Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   FJ40 Fiberglass Cap Restoration (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20829)

akingf5371 01-31-2014 10:14 PM

FJ40 Fiberglass Cap Restoration
 
Guys-
I'm about to dig into restoring my 40, I've put it off long enough. I'm curious if anyone has restored the cap to their 40? I know Matt did it a while ago but he said in the end he wasn't too excited with the results. I went to Calibre Boat Repair to get a quot on re gel-coating the roof, they said probably $1200. That seems high so I asked just about painting and they said $600. Does that seem like a fair price? Will paint hold up well? The PO on my 40 painted the top the wrong color and it's already faded/chipping. Any other places should I try? Should I knuckle up and do it myself? What say you?

Rzeppa 02-01-2014 12:24 AM

Yikes! That sounds crazy! Too bad about Matt not liking his results, I remember reading his write up in Toyota Trails, really good article.

What I did was buy a nicer used one off a fellow Rising Sun member. I don't remember exactly what I paid but it was way less than what you got quoted for painting.

baja1d 02-01-2014 07:45 AM

For those numbers, I'd personally do more research. It can't be that hard if you know what you're doing. Besides, like drywall, I'm pretty sure that "gel coating" is lowest of the trade. In other words, if you know what you're doing any monkey can do it

subzali 02-01-2014 08:25 AM

Try asking Rocky Mountain cruisers what they would charge to do it. They had a nice looking top in there they were working on last time I was there.

MisledYouth 02-01-2014 09:19 AM

Last I checked, RM Cruisers was no more. They temporarily closed to catch up after the move, but their website and FB basically say they're done.

SteveH 02-01-2014 09:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My cap had been painted silver by the PO, and this paint was mildewed and sun damaged. I sanded it heavily, primed it, and painted it in my garage with the correct Toyota white paint - not a base/clear - just a single stage, and it turned out great. I did not even buff the paint. I put on several coats for wear resistance.

Recall that you cannot see most of an FJ40 roof unless you're on a ladder or in a helicopter. If you get the part that you *can* see looking good (the edges down to the rain gutter), the middle doesn't have to be perfect. If you're looking for a show quality job, you will have to work harder at this than I did, but mine looked really nice. White paint is very forgiving, since it reflects a ton of light, so minor flaws just won't show.

akingf5371 02-01-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzeppa (Post 245858)
Yikes! That sounds crazy! Too bad about Matt not liking his results, I remember reading his write up in Toyota Trails, really good article.

What I did was buy a nicer used one off a fellow Rising Sun member. I don't remember exactly what I paid but it was way less than what you got quoted for painting.

Jeff, that sounds like an option, but I rather just restore mine, it is in great shape minus the poor paint job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja1d (Post 245862)
For those numbers, I'd personally do more research. It can't be that hard if you know what you're doing. Besides, like drywall, I'm pretty sure that "gel coating" is lowest of the trade. In other words, if you know what you're doing any monkey can do it

Really? I honestly thought it wasn't as easy as it looks, closer to fiberglassing than painting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali (Post 245864)
Try asking Rocky Mountain cruisers what they would charge to do it. They had a nice looking top in there they were working on last time I was there.

They changed names and I think closed down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisledYouth (Post 245865)
Last I checked, RM Cruisers was no more. They temporarily closed to catch up after the move, but their website and FB basically say they're done.

Right

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 245866)
My cap had been painted silver by the PO, and this paint was mildewed and sun damaged. I sanded it heavily, primed it, and painted it in my garage with the correct Toyota white paint - not a base/clear - just a single stage, and it turned out great. I did not even buff the paint. I put on several coats for wear resistance.

Recall that you cannot see most of an FJ40 roof unless you're on a ladder or in a helicopter. If you get the part that you *can* see looking good (the edges down to the rain gutter), the middle doesn't have to be perfect. If you're looking for a show quality job, you will have to work harder at this than I did, but mine looked really nice. White paint is very forgiving, since it reflects a ton of light, so minor flaws just won't show.

That looks good! What brand/type of paint did you use? Did you seal the gutter to the top with sealant? Where did you buy the paint from? Any other details would help!

subzali 02-01-2014 11:56 AM

FJ40 Fiberglass Cap Restoration
 
I bought my materials from painters supply on Santa Fe. I like the way the exterior turned out except there is a spot that's peeling now. But I think I would have rather not painted it but done a proper gel coat job like factory

MDH33 02-01-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali (Post 245870)
I bought my materials from painters supply on Santa Fe. I like the way the exterior turned out except there is a spot that's peeling now. But I think I would have rather not painted it but done a proper gel coat job like factory

Matt, does Painters Supply make the individual custom rattle cans of Toyota paint? I have some touch up I need to do on my 60. Sorry for the hijack. ;)

subzali 02-01-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDH33 (Post 245872)
Matt, does Painters Supply make the individual custom rattle cans of Toyota paint? I have some touch up I need to do on my 60. Sorry for the hijack. ;)


I dunno. I 'spect so


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.