Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1998 Tacoma extended cab V6 Truggy Build (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20886)

TIMZTOY 02-14-2014 11:37 AM

1998 Tacoma extended cab V6 Truggy Build

I know I haven't posted on here for quite some time now. But as some of you may know. I sold my 85 Hilux crawler. And moved on down to Florida, which I regret. And I have been Jonesey pretty hard-core for another Rockcrawler. So I just found myself a sweet 1998 Tacoma extended cab V6 four-wheel-drive with a brand-new crate motor in it. So I'm driving 11 hours to go pick this thing up and I'm going to turn into my new truggy. So when I get back to Colorado I'll have my TOY again.
:hill:

Hulk 02-14-2014 06:01 PM

Cool. Post photos when you get 'em. When are you coming back to Colorado?

MountainGoat 02-15-2014 06:13 AM

That is great news Tim! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Glad you are coming back man. :)

FJCDan 02-15-2014 09:38 AM

Florida, not a nice place to live, not a nice place to visit.

TIMZTOY 02-15-2014 08:49 PM

No set date to over back yet.. But I Would say ballpark of 1 year..
My plans for the truck are to go hard core "ish" with this truck. And finally do my truggy that I've been wanting to do.. Mostly because this truck has a lot more rust than I was hoping for.. It also has the frame rust hole issue between the bed and cab location..so cutting the frame in half and doing a truggy would actually solve a lot of issues that could arise by keeping the rusty frame..

I would like to do full width axles.. I'm thinking. Dana 60's not sure.. I haven't researched all of the different options. But I like what kimmel has set up and his seems to work great..

Another issue I'm not sure about yet is the fact that I need the truck to tow a enclosed trailer. And I haven't researched coil overs options enough to know if I can do a 4 link with coilovers (truggy) and still have the abilities to tow...

So what I want, might have to sacrifice a tad for what I need..
Another random thought that might be a issue, is if I truggy it and hook a trailer to it 14' long. I it going to tow oddly because the hitch is closer to the axle as a truggy compared to OEM being several feet behind the axle..

TIMZTOY 02-15-2014 08:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)

TIMZTOY 02-15-2014 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have never seen a Toyota truck rust in this location ever..
I either going to patch each hole, or replace the entire roof panel

TIMZTOY 02-15-2014 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The tailgate is all that's rusted on the bed surprisingly..

ttubb 02-16-2014 07:44 AM

Submerged in sea water at some time? Why the new engine? I think I see rust coming through the front bumpers too.

rover67 02-16-2014 08:39 AM

crazyness.

What are your plans for it?

cut the back off of it and make it a campermobile? you could french in one of the old yota camper backs and have a neat rig.