Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   FJ40 Stalling - snowdrift busting (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20936)

subzali 02-26-2014 08:46 AM

FJ40 Stalling - snowdrift busting
 
Last year I was busting some snowdrifts and ended up stalling my FJ40 a couple times. It seemed to be an electrical problem and was consistent with the fine snow crystals blowing off the top of the drifts into my engine bay in some of the deeper drifts. I turned off the lights and would try to crank the engine but it would never catch and come to life. Then after a few minutes of waiting (in near 0 degree temperatures) I would try again and it would come to life and I would be on my way again.

I can only figure that the snow crystals were hitting something hot, melting, and the water droplets were migrating somewhere that didn't like them. Then, because the engine was hot, they would evaporate off in a couple minutes and I would be on my way again.

However, this has never ever been a problem in the past, on previous snow wheeling trips, or water crossings, nada.

Any ideas? I have a '77 2F, '79 vented dizzy and ignition (no points). Are the spark plugs that sensitive to water? I would think not based on this picture:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...1&d=1159930277

Anyway, just bothered me this morning so I thought I'd ask.

Phrog 02-26-2014 09:01 AM

stalling
 
Could snow have gotten into the distributor and caused a temporary short/ground, which went away as soon as the snow evaporated? The spark plugs themselves wouldn't have gotten wet, but the ignition system upstream of the spark plugs could have.

-Phrog

MDH33 02-26-2014 09:09 AM

I would guess that the cold snow hitting your hot engine evaporated and your intake sucked in a bunch of water vapor which would stall it. Not as likely in the summer maybe due to the warmer air?

subzali 02-26-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrog (Post 247014)
Could snow have gotten into the distributor and caused a temporary short/ground, which went away as soon as the snow evaporated? The spark plugs themselves wouldn't have gotten wet, but the ignition system upstream of the spark plugs could have.

-Phrog

With the vented distributor design I'm not sure that could happen, but something like that is certainly what I suspect to have happened. The next question would be what is the most likely culprit and what do I need to do to avoid having that same incident in the future?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDH33 (Post 247016)
I would guess that the cold snow hitting your hot engine evaporated and your intake sucked in a bunch of water vapor which would stall it. Not as likely in the summer maybe due to the warmer air?

Hm, maybe. I guess the same thing happens when you pour Seafoam into the intake. But it seems like the engine can take quite a bit of that and still run. The problem on this occasion was that it wouldn't restart once it stalled, even if I cranked it for several seconds. Didn't want to kill the battery because it was dark and cold and I didn't want to have to walk to a neighboring house if I didn't have to. But after a few minutes of sitting it started back up.

Phrog 02-26-2014 10:44 AM

stallling
 
Where's the vent intake for the distributor? If it's similar to my old FJ60 - in the passenger compartment - it seems unlikely that it would see any snow. If however it's in the engine compartment, it still might be possible. If that's the case, a simple rerouting to somewhere higher and less exposed might be the fix.

-Phrog

akingf5371 02-26-2014 11:14 AM

There is also the OEM dizzy cover that you should have on there.

subzali 02-26-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrog (Post 247027)
Where's the vent intake for the distributor? If it's similar to my old FJ60 - in the passenger compartment - it seems unlikely that it would see any snow. If however it's in the engine compartment, it still might be possible. If that's the case, a simple rerouting to somewhere higher and less exposed might be the fix.

-Phrog

I have it running into the cab under the glovebox. So yeah, pretty unlikely snow would get inside the cab and then through the filter I have on the end of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akingf5371 (Post 247033)
There is also the OEM dizzy cover that you should have on there.

I actually looked this morning on SOR to see if there was an OEM solution. For 77 there isn't but for '78 and on there is. So since I have a '79 dizzy I might give it a try.

kurtnkegger 02-26-2014 02:39 PM

Matt, when my hot air intake was stuck to always take in the hot air by the exhaust manifold, I would stall at water crossings, or anything that would cause steam to rise and mix with the air that was being sucked in to my carb. This sounds like it would fall in line with the symptoms you are describing. I would check your air intake gate in your air filter housing to verify it's moving as it should. I used a wire tie to keep my gate open to always accept cold air away from the manifold, until I found a working replacement, and never had stalling issues after that.

Jacket 02-26-2014 02:52 PM

What makes you so sure it was electrical?

SteveH 02-26-2014 03:33 PM

Certain domestic trucks will flood badly after you shock the carb with a hard hit - is there a chance that you're hitting these drifts hard enough that you're simply massively flooding the engine? I personally doubt this, but thought I'd put it out there. It's pretty hard to upset an OEM Aisin carb.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.