Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Thinking of giving this a go (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=21032)

Racerchef 03-15-2014 11:15 PM

Thinking of giving this a go
 
This would be 1st trip like this. Do I get to pick trails I want to go on?
I'm a novice at 4 wheeling any recommendations for trails? Not looking for crazy stuff maybe some scenic ones and one to see a bit what vehicle can do.

Fishy 03-16-2014 12:27 AM

Absolutely you should. What would you be driving?

Here is the best place to start:
http://www.cruisemoab.com

Trail descriptions and a link to register are available from there.

Racerchef 03-16-2014 08:54 AM

I have a 2013 fj cruiser with OME lift well I will have lift tomorrow :) and nitto terra grapplers

MicahMan 03-16-2014 11:28 AM

You'd be good for a number of trails. The best part is there are a ton of people with skill and knowledge to help you through.

Inukshuk 03-16-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racerchef (Post 247958)
I have a 2013 fj cruiser with OME lift well I will have lift tomorrow :) and nitto terra grapplers

Welcome. I ran the TG's for a while and they'll do everything you want them to do at Moab. Proper airing down is the key. Don't be afraid to do it. You can always add air (even if you don't have on-board air, others will in the group) and I have only ever seen two beads break in 15 years of wheeling. On my heavier 80 Series I'd take the TGs down to 15-18 psi. The FJ is a lot lighter so those numbers are safe. You will quickly see that small differences between 15 -25 PSI make a big difference.

If you find tires spinning on a hill climb that others are making, consider going down on air.

Also, driving around town after runs, no need to re-inflate. On highway, also safe if you keep it under 50 MPH.

See you in Moab:thumb:

Racerchef 03-16-2014 01:33 PM

Damn you guys aren't making it easy for me not to go. Gonna be expensive with registration, to a dues, hotel and all. But looks like a hoot. I was going to go to moab at a different time alone but that really limits where I can go and what I can learn.

LARGEONE 03-16-2014 01:44 PM

It will cost a bit, but you will learn sooooo much in just one trip. If you can find a place to sleep, then I would say go for it!!!

nattybumppo 03-16-2014 03:21 PM

Many, if not most of us, camp at the Slickrock Campground, which will save $$$ over a hotel. There are several easier trails, like Chicken Corners (mostly a scenic dirt road), Dome Plateau (very easy with one short optional obstacle section), and Arches. If you stay at difficulty 4 or less, we should be able to coach you through anything there, and your confidence and skill will grow immensely.

Rzeppa 03-16-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nattybumppo (Post 247985)
Many, if not most of us, camp at the Slickrock Campground, which will save $$$ over a hotel. There are several easier trails, like Chicken Corners (mostly a scenic dirt road), Dome Plateau (very easy with one short optional obstacle section), and Arches. If you stay at difficulty 4 or less, we should be able to coach you through anything there, and your confidence and skill will grow immensely.

We didn't have enough people interested to run Chicken Corner this year. I'm doing trail assignments today (guess it's tonight already :P).

But Porcupine Rim, Fins n Things, Elephant Hill, and Wipeout Hill are all great for n00bs from my perspective. I haven't run Dome Plateau myself yet but I have heard it is another good one for first-timers.

The thing I love about Cruise Moab is getting to hang out with 350 of my closest Cruiser friends from all over the country (world) that I only get to see once a year. This will be my 15th year.

Old40Dog 03-17-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racerchef (Post 247944)
This would be 1st trip like this. Do I get to pick trails I want to go on?
I'm a novice at 4 wheeling any recommendations for trails? Not looking for crazy stuff maybe some scenic ones and one to see a bit what vehicle can do.

Come out to the Rising Sun meeting on April 2 from 7:30-9 PM at the Jeffco Fairgrounds for a fun meeting on recovery techniques. It will be a good opportunity to check us out to see if you want to hang around with those wild & crazy RS Toy 4x4 guys.:D

BTW, I'm leading Elephant Hill on Thursday at Cruise Moab which is an awesome run that includes 2 short hikes with fantastic views of the desert and the confluence of the Green & CO rivers. You'd have no issues with your rig on that trail for sure and we would love to have you along.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.