Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Bed Liner spray for the sides on my 80 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=21070)

80Series 03-18-2014 11:10 PM

Bed Liner spray for the sides on my 80

Hello all,

I have been researching threads on here and have seen some Herculiner, Durabak, and others and I am trying to decide what to do. I had my old LC sprayed by a place that did a great job up in Longmont but I am not able to locate them anymore. He was located at the Ford dealership and cost about $400 (thought it was called Green Marshin?). Had a quote for $1000 for my truck to get sprayed now and its a bit more than I was looking to spend. Does anyone know of any local shops that would spray for closer to $500, doesn't need to be one of the big companies (Line-X or Rhino) but I it seems that the spray on done by the pros is better than the do-it-yourself stuff (but correct me if others have had luck with the do-it-yourself).

I have removed the stock flares, welded, ground down, bondo, and primered to prep for the bed liner sides. No going back at this point :) but I really like the look of the bed liner on the sides without the flares. Thanks for any ideas all!

baja1d 03-19-2014 06:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Met this guy the other day. He's very familiar with FJ40's & quoted me $500 for the inside of my tub.

Attachment 36480

imhighlander 03-19-2014 07:25 AM

When it's back online, check out the Monstaliner threads on mud. Folks who've done it seem very pleased with the results.

imhighlander
1993 FZJ80

TonkaToy 03-19-2014 07:33 AM

I just got done spraying a bunch of Raptor liner on the 'nose' of my 40. I have used the stuff many times before and love it. Looks great, cheap, comes with the Shutz gun. Very easy to blow on too. Also tintable.....I'm going to shoot some tinted stuff next,
Check out eBay. Great stuff!

nuclearlemon 03-21-2014 12:25 PM

pighead rolled his rig in herculiner and it's held up well, but it's very rough, don't know if you can thin it or something to make it less harsh

Corbet 03-21-2014 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Neighbor rolled his in 80 Durabak a couple years ago. Turned out well and has held up in the UV at 8000' with no garage. Another neighbor did his Cherokee shortly there after. If you go this route use the smooth not the textured unless you want a 10 grit sandpaper like finish

Pic of the 80.

Burt88 03-22-2014 06:48 PM

My vote goes for Raptor Liner. It's really easy and the prep work is simple. I used herculiner on my truck before I knew about Raptor Liner and I totally regret it. It's rough and can flake off pretty easy.

TonkaToy 03-23-2014 07:20 AM

I'm in Thornton, if you want to see how the Raptor stuff looks applied, let me know. I am getting ready to blow the rear wheel tubs next. Then I'm going to do some colored Raptor on outside of the tub.

Pighead 03-23-2014 04:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclearlemon (Post 248237)
pighead rolled his rig in herculiner and it's held up well, but it's very rough, don't know if you can thin it or something to make it less harsh

It's true. I rolled 3 gallons of the herculiner over my entire Pig (in 2001)...only regret was the lack of UV protection, which I should have done at the time. Required a re-roll every 8 or 10 years. Don't mind the texture, you get used to avoiding it, very easy to patch rock rash/tree peels. Cheap and easy to find in large or small containers.

Edit: obligatory pics for those that have not seen it in person...

TIMZTOY 03-24-2014 03:45 PM

U-Pol Raptor.
that's what I sprayed the interior of my 84 hilux.
I loved it. its a DIY kit that comes with a spray gun that is reusable for future use. auto body paint supply's off santife and 285 have it in stock.
as some of the other people who have seen it before I sold it.. beautiful product and looks just like a $500 spray job

in fact I believe I have build photos on here somewhere...