Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Zipper Repair (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=21176)

Rzeppa 04-15-2014 06:49 PM

Zipper Repair

I did a search and came up empty. The zipper on the main door of my tent needs to be replaced. Does anyone have any recommendations of a Denver area repair shop? I need this done before Moab, otherwise I need to buy a new tent, and the rest of this tent is just fine.

Seldom Seen 04-15-2014 07:04 PM

Stichlines

Squishy! 04-15-2014 07:10 PM

X2 they're good. Right near A&A exhaust.

DaveInDenver 04-15-2014 07:28 PM

Phyllis @ Stitchlines = goodness

She usually charges by the inch for zippers, or at least that was the way she used to do it. Don't hesitate though, get it in there ASAP, her lead times can be pretty long.

RicardoJM 04-15-2014 07:49 PM

Just a block or so down Broadway there is a shop that Phyllis sent me to for window and zipper replacement on my Paki top. Phyllis was really back logged. Good work and reasonably priced.:thumb:

Rzeppa 04-15-2014 09:00 PM

Thanks guys! I'll call first thing in the morning. Between tax prep and Cruise Moab trail assignments and leader/gunner stuff this has been as busy a week as I expected! Thank goodness packet stuff has been put off by a week ;P

L43dean 04-15-2014 09:04 PM

Jeff, Do the zipper teeth pull apart after you pull the zipper pull shut. If this is the case and you have a "YKK" style coil tooth zipper, it is often that the PULL is wearing. The height dimension inside the pull has worn to become too big. This metal pull can be gently squeezed, at the back end or following end, with pliers. Put your plier jaws behind the pull tab on the zipper pull with the pull still on the zipper teeth. Squeeze very gently a little at a time and test. I've worked in a couple mountaineering shops and more times than not I could get a few more weeks of use from the zip on customers gear, our rental gear and my own. Eventually the zipper needs a new pull or complete re-placement. Good luck. Or maybe now is the time for a Springbar, OZ or Bibler!

L43dean 04-15-2014 09:12 PM

PakTop hi-jack

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicardoJM (Post 249371)
Just a block or so down Broadway there is a shop that Phyllis sent me to for window and zipper replacement on my Paki top. Phyllis was really back logged. Good work and reasonably priced.:thumb:

Thanks Ricardo! I need to have two small patches sewn on my canvas top. I want to hire someone who has a commercial machine for thick canvas.

Seldom Seen 04-15-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L43dean (Post 249379)
Jeff, Do the zipper teeth pull apart after you pull the zipper pull shut. If this is the case and you have a "YKK" style coil tooth zipper, it is often that the PULL is wearing...

Good catch....This is another option.

L43dean 04-15-2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seldom Seen (Post 249382)
Good catch....This is another option.

I could have sold many hundreds of those in the eighties,"Eighties" a good Killing Joke tune. We used to stock all the sizes and types of pulls and stops I could get.