Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   4Wheeling and Event Staging Area (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Argentine Pass June 28-29 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=21359)

DanS 05-29-2014 10:14 AM

Argentine Pass June 28-29

Tim and I were talking about this, and with the late season snow that I saw this week when I went to scope it out, I think late June should be OK.

Here's the thought: a two day excursion up Argentine. I'm sure we'll find stuff that needs cleaning and hauling out, and generally enjoy the weather up there. There's decent dispersed camping along the trail, although I'll alternately offer up my property to camp out on (about 10 miles back down the road in Dumont) if we'd like.

The goal would be to be done on Sunday by about noon, so not a long day at all, just an easy jaunt up to Waldorf to see what needs cleaning up and then trying to coordinate another work trip later in the summer based on what we see.

We'll talk about it at the June meeting.

Dan

imhighlander 05-29-2014 11:06 AM

I think I'm in. Wife and kid #2 will be out of town, so I should be able to swing it. I should also be at the June meeting to learn more.

Squishy! 05-29-2014 10:25 PM

We're in! I'm itching to try out the new RTT set up.

Old40Dog 05-31-2014 04:43 PM

Should be in for this one.

nakman 06-04-2014 09:34 PM

in! hopefully both nights

Berihurt09 06-05-2014 06:46 AM

We might be available to do this one too! Have to verify schedules but we love Argentine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squishy! 06-05-2014 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berihurt09 (Post 251515)
We might be available to do this one too! Have to verify schedules but we love Argentine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virgin post!

DanS 06-05-2014 05:01 PM

Sorry I missed the meeting.

I got to enjoy a night in Kansas City due to a flight that didn't have enough crew. Good stuff, right?

Either way, Here's my thought: let's meet at Two Brothers Deli in downtown Idaho Springs, and plan to hit the road at 9:30AM (I'll get there at 8 for breakfast). I highly doubt we will get much above the Waldorf townsite, but we should have plenty of time to see what we can see.

We should be able to snag a camping spot on our way up, before we get up to the Waldorf townsite. I expect that the creek will still be pretty deep, but not impassable. I'll plan on driving a pretty stock truck on 31" tires with open diffs, so no worries with what you want to bring.

After setting up camp, we can head up to the Waldorf townsite, if not higher, and return to our campsite for the night. I'll bring firewood, and a chainsaw in case we run into downed trees.

[NOTE--if the camping spots are all taken, we can head to Dumont (15 minutes downstream from Georgetown for camping--I know I've got room for 10+ vehicles and tents. Easy.)

We should focus on hauling out any trash we may find, although with the late snows I'm guessing we won't find much. Will also document any damage we find for the forest service.

On Sunday, we can take a quick trip up to the Santiago if we don't make it on Saturday, and then head back down. I want to be back pretty early on Sunday, hopefully back to the highway by noon.

Sound like a plan?

Dan

Squishy! 06-05-2014 05:41 PM

I like it with one addendum. Tim and I were talking about going up late Friday. The last switchback before heading up Leavenworth there's a right hand turn with great camping. Spacious enough it should hold several families. We were thinking about snagging these before other folk wander up the hill.

Beachboy 06-05-2014 08:10 PM

Should be in.