Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   4Wheeling and Event Staging Area (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Annual Ouray Run – Labor Day Weekend, August 30-September 1, 2014 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=21413)

Old40Dog 06-08-2014 01:14 PM

Annual Ouray Run – Labor Day Weekend, August 30-September 1, 2014

3 Attachment(s)
This annual run is a club favorite. Traveling the mountain passes in your favorite Toyota 4x4 is a wonderful way to experience the magnificent mountains surrounding Ouray. Ouray has been nicknamed the "Switzerland of America." The immediate vicinity offers limitless opportunities for four-wheeling, from easy scenic drives to rugged challenges, along trails miners built to passes that climb to spectacular heights. The trails traverse some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, abundant with wildflowers, ghost towns, abandoned mines, animal life (good chance of seeing moose), all with breathtaking vistas.

Check out area camping info here or camp at the 4J Campground within walking distance of a relaxing soak in the Ouray Hot Springs Pool. You can also stay at the Amphitheater forest service campground above town or the KOA about 10 minutes North of town. Here is a link to some other Forest Service campgrounds in the area.

San Juan Roads and Ghost Town Map attached to this post at the bottom. Check the links to the various trails to "TrailDamage.com" for more info.

Saturday – Option 1 Governor Basin/Yankee Boy - Nestled at an elevation between 11500 and 12000 feet, Yankee Boy Basin contains some of the most prolific stands of wildflowers in the state. The basin itself is surrounded by several breathtaking peaks—Mt Sneffels, Potosi Peak, Teakettle Mountain, Cirque Mountain, Stony Mountain, and Gilpin Mountain. Most are 13,500 or higher. The Governor Basin trail splits off from the Yankee Boy and climbs up to the edge of Humboldt Basin, and on to the Humboldt, Virginius, and Mountain Top mines. You drive to the Mountain Top Mine, but the remains of the Humboldt Mine cannot be reached by 4x4, but the old trail can be hiked. We’ll also take the Sydney Basin loop before returning to Ouray.

Saturday - Option 2) Poughkeepsie Gulch/Corkscrew Gulch . Poughkeepsie Gulch is a moderate trail, but some spots may be difficult for mostly stock vehicles. Corkscrew Gulch trail climbs via numerous switchbacks, the last few of which are steep and narrow. At the summit (at 12,217 ft) is the red soil of the famous Red Mountains 1, 2 & 3 visible to the south.

Saturday 6PM - Pot Luck; At the 4J's group picnic area. Bring your own main dish and a side dish or dessert to share.

Sunday - Black Bear Pass to Telluride -, lunch in the city park. You can take a brief walk along Main Street, stop for ice cream or your favorite fru-fru coffee. We'll take Imogene Pass for the return trip to Ouray.

All runs meet @ 8:00AM in the parking lot by the Ouray Hot Springs. Depart 8:30 AM!

Post up you're trail preferences if you’re planning to attend.

Art Volmer 06-08-2014 02:10 PM

In

The Volmer family has a spot reserved at the Amphitheater campground and are looking forward to a great trip. Thanks Dave for putting this together again this year.

I vote for Governor Basin on Saturday.

spcruiser 07-14-2014 10:30 PM

Reservation made at 4j for the weekend.

ColoradoMntMan 08-21-2014 11:18 AM

Is anyone going to be down there Friday? To skip traffic I'm driving down Thursday and heading back Sunday.

Old40Dog 08-22-2014 11:33 AM

I expect arrive late Friday morning at 4J . Returning on Tuesday. On Ham 146.460

ColoradoMntMan 08-27-2014 04:25 PM

So I'll be down there Thursday night and will be doing the Sunday trails on Friday since I'm heading back to Denver on Sunday. Let me know if anyone wants to join. I'm staying at 4J Campground on the tent side, black 80 series.

baileyfj40 08-27-2014 05:10 PM

I'll be leaving the Bailey area Thurs am. Have a spot at 4j. Hope to find a right seat or a back seat.

Art Volmer 08-27-2014 10:00 PM

We have to bail

Well sad to say but after much debate we have to stay home. Our dog is old and she is not doing well this past month.

If anyone is wanting to stay at the amphitheater campground we just canceled our reservation.

I hope everyone has a great trip

baja1d 08-27-2014 10:09 PM

So bummed we're going to miss out this year. Have fun everyone

Old40Dog 08-29-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Volmer (Post 255155)
Well sad to say but after much debate we have to stay home. Our dog is old and she is not doing well this past month.

If anyone is wanting to stay at the amphitheater campground we just canceled our reservation.

I hope everyone has a great trip

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja1d (Post 255156)
So bummed we're going to miss out this year. Have fun everyone

Sorry to hear. We'll miss you guys!