Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Knuckle Rebuild (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2312)

Chris 10-22-2006 05:19 PM

Knuckle Rebuild

:eek: This knucklehead is going to rebuild the knuckles on my FJ62.

Yeah, yeah, I've read the FSM, watched the 80 rebuild DVD and anything else I can here and on mud.

Still I'm intimidated and gladly offer beer, pizza, whatever for a bit of assistance while gaining experience. Since I'll be tearing it apart I also have new rotors, calipers and pads.

Timeframe? Days, nights, anytime this coming week.
Where? My son-in-laws garage in Aurora

Thanks!

subzali 10-22-2006 07:13 PM

Get a seal puller if you don't already have one. Screwdrivers are bad substitutes. And if you are planning on disassembling the bell, just buy the pipe you'll need to pop the inner/outer axles apart. I tried the whole vise/punch/hit it in the right spot bit, it's not worth it. I'll buy you :beer: if you take longer than me, 27 hours total :eek::D

Chris 10-22-2006 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali
Get a seal puller if you don't already have one. Screwdrivers are bad substitutes. And if you are planning on disassembling the bell, just buy the pipe you'll need to pop the inner/outer axles apart. I tried the whole vise/punch/hit it in the right spot bit, it's not worth it. I'll buy you :beer: if you take longer than me, 27 hours total :eek::D

I think I have a few SST's lined up and do plan on buying a seal puller.

disassembling the bell? - buy the pipe? Now I'm adding more hours since I don't know what you're talking about :confused:

27 hours? Doesn't sound too bad to me. I just may pick up drinking again and the first will be on you!

subzali 10-22-2006 08:31 PM

You know, getting the 6 balls and cage separated to make sure the inside moving surface of the birfield is completely clean. I mean since you're all the way in there you might as well take the extra five minutes and make sure it's done right. It's good experience too :p: . You have to break the snap rings on the inner axle so you can slide the birfield bell off. I can't believe at least the DVD didn't talk about it :confused:

Here is what I'm talking about, the thing is this procedure takes about 5 seconds whereas any other way of separating the bell/balls/cage takes ???? I never was successful, but spent about a 1/2 hour with the vice. With your rebuild kit you should have gotten new snap rings...

Chris 10-22-2006 09:18 PM

Yeah, they skipped that in the video but I'll take the 5 minutes or 45, or 120. :thumb:

farnhamstj 10-22-2006 09:21 PM

Having a partswasher is very helpful. If not you'll want about 5 cans of brake cleaner per side. Have 3 5gal buckets and many rolls of the blue throw out paper rags. You don't need to separate the axle/birf. It'll take you 6 hours for the 1st side and 3 hours for the other. Check that you can get the 4mm bolts out of your hub before you begin your project. That got me as I had to replace hubs also $100 I didn't budget. Get a few punches and razorblades, gasket remover. Cardboard and lots of it for your garage floor.

Rezarf 10-22-2006 09:40 PM

Chris-

TP for the goo in the axles... works great. :D

I could help next week on Tuesday as its my day off, but no can do this Tuesday.

This is not a hard job just messy. You can do it man! :thumb:

Drew

Man Jerk 10-22-2006 11:33 PM

I can't believe no on has recommended latex gloves. Your gonna need em.

farnhamstj 10-22-2006 11:48 PM

You using the whole fist there doc?

Chris 10-23-2006 02:19 PM

Thanks to you all for the suggestions, looks like it'll be fine. I'll shoot for getting it done in under 27 hours.

Drew, if I'm not done by next week I may call on you :lmao: