Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Man those diffs are heavy! (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2518)

Romer 11-25-2006 06:05 PM

Man those diffs are heavy!

Spent the day tearing down both axles to re-gear to 4.88's. Those diffs are heavy and I can tell will be a real pain in the ass getting back in. Thinking I'll need to use a jack to raise it while I settle it in. Probably have to get one of the kids to work the jack.

Any tips or lessons learned here would be appreciated. These are diff's with lockers built in.:beer:

cruiserdan 11-25-2006 06:15 PM

The rear diff weighs about 100 pounds. I like to use a hydraulic jack to lift it into place. I also fit the diff gasket to the housing before I attempt to reinstall the diff.

Be sure that the gasket is pushed up against the housing before you slide the diff into place. If the gasket is not flush against the diff you risk tearing it when you slide the diff into place.

Crash 11-25-2006 07:28 PM

Aww, what does a parts guy (GURU) know about real work????
Hi Dan :cool: Looking forward to seeing you up front in the Cruise Moab 2007 tech inspection line!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruiserdan
The rear diff weighs about 100 pounds. I like to use a hydraulic jack to lift it into place. I also fit the diff gasket to the housing before I attempt to reinstall the diff.

Be sure that the gasket is pushed up against the housing before you slide the diff into place. If the gasket is not flush against the diff you risk tearing it when you slide the diff into place.

cruiserdan 11-25-2006 08:03 PM

Having done a few "curls" with a rear diff, this parts geek has a good idea about the particulars........:lmao:

The old "diff on the chest whilst you roll the creeper under the truck" gig has been played out by me.:hill:

I prefer a lift these days.

nakman 11-25-2006 08:25 PM

Ken, get really good at doing this. ;)

bvb 11-25-2006 09:06 PM

Dan, How are you ever going to be in practice to lift one on the trail? A little umph and in they go right in!:D A jack is easy if you have the extra hand to adjust it.

Man Jerk 11-25-2006 11:53 PM

I've done it too many times laying on my back. Roll over, grab 3rd, and try to roll your body with the 3rd so you are back onto your back. Lift and hope you can get it on the housing before your arms give out. That and hope you don't drop it onto your ches (guilty :rolleyes: ).

All in all a crapload of fun!

cruiserdan 11-26-2006 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bvb
Dan, How are you ever going to be in practice to lift one on the trail? A little umph and in they go right in!:D A jack is easy if you have the extra hand to adjust it.

It's quite easy actually.

You see I let Ige do it, I just pass the tools off to her.:thumb:

nuclearlemon 11-26-2006 01:00 PM

dd you see my thread a year ago on the dangers of stabbing by hand...ouch. i need to find me a sexy man to stab my diffs

Romer 11-26-2006 03:48 PM

Definitly will use a Jack and see if I can get a hand from someone to fit them in. I'll probably take Friday off to put it back together. Hopefully it will all go well so I can go to the Caravan for Kids.