Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   need service for a 85 toyota truck. (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2879)

art hog 01-18-2007 06:22 PM

need service for a 85 toyota truck.
 
any recomendations? for a head gasket and timing change. near golden or close to.

Terry

Rzeppa 01-18-2007 09:01 PM

Joe Calleja at Colorado Toyota Specialists in Aspen Park. (303) 838-4772. He's a Rising Sun member and expert on 22REs. I've used him a number of times for my daughter's 85 runner when I didn't have time to deal with it, including head gasket and timing chain.

nuclearlemon 01-18-2007 09:08 PM

don't know about the head gasket, but the timing chain is easy to do.

Rzeppa 01-18-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclearlemon (Post 24918)
don't know about the head gasket, but the timing chain is easy to do.

Doing the timing chain on a 20R/22R/22RE requires removing the head...and the rad, and... :-(

Bummer thing about these is that chain itself is usually fine, it's almost always the tensioner and guide that needs replacing.

While all the manuals say you MUST remove the head to do the chain, Joe told me about a trick he knows of where he doesn't have to actually remove the head. I looked at it and looked back at him and scratched mine. He then confided that it was quite a trick and was actually a PITA.

nuclearlemon 01-19-2007 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzeppa (Post 24923)
Doing the timing chain on a 20R/22R/22RE requires removing the head...and the rad, and... :-(

Bummer thing about these is that chain itself is usually fine, it's almost always the tensioner and guide that needs replacing.

While all the manuals say you MUST remove the head to do the chain, Joe told me about a trick he knows of where he doesn't have to actually remove the head. I looked at it and looked back at him and scratched mine. He then confided that it was quite a trick and was actually a PITA.

i didn't have to remove the head or pan when i did mine. it was a piece of cake. frank morgan from pederson toyota told me they never remove the head to do t/c

Red_Chili 01-19-2007 08:11 AM

The HGs have a service life, however, and it's worth it to replace the HG while you're in there - then forget about it for another 120K. A weak HG can erode the head and block, which starts getting very expensive. Don't ask me how I know that - let's just say the Chili had the shortcut version prior to my purchasing it.

Three Wheel Ben 01-19-2007 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red_Chili (Post 24946)
The HGs have a service life, however, and it's worth it to replace the HG while you're in there - then forget about it for another 120K. A weak HG can erode the head and block, which starts getting very expensive. Don't ask me how I know that - let's just say the Chili had the shortcut version prior to my purchasing it.

X2 Cheap insurance.

isotel 01-19-2007 02:14 PM

im about to tackle this job on my 4runner 22re.. I was under the assumption that if you pull the head for a gasket, you should send the head to a machine shop to have it looked at and milled.. I dont know if i want to get into that.. My main issue is that the front timing chain cover leaks like Crazy.. and i got almost 160k on the clock..

nuclearlemon 01-19-2007 04:10 PM

[quote=DaveInDenver;24987]although some people say you can just bend the front lip of the pan. IQUOTE]

i didn't have to bend mine :confused:

Rzeppa 01-19-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver (Post 24993)
the 22R-E is in fact a non-interference engine and when the chain does break at least you don't crunch valves.

First-hand experience: The 22RE IS an interference engine. Timing chain slips and you have bent valves and gouges on the piston tops. $$$


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.