Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Coarse spline hub question (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2989)

60wag 02-05-2007 10:11 AM

Coarse spline hub question
 
A friend of mine lost a hub off his '70 FJ55. Yes lost it, as in "fell off" and disappeared. He says its an Aisin hub. Spector desn't even list an Aisin prior to 1975. He was going to get a Warn to replace it but I'll bet someone has a box of these old beauts laying around in the garage. Let me know, thanks.

Bruce

60wag 02-07-2007 11:06 AM

Anybody? Were there Aisin hubs back in 1970? Or were they Warn or Selectro dealer installs? Is there a coarse spline Aisin? Are they all the same? TIA

wesintl 02-07-2007 11:15 AM

I'm not aware of a course spline aisin. I believe they started in 75ish with the disc brakes and fine spline. There is a difference though in the body length of a 75-78 aisin and a 79+ due to the birf length. Since the aisin hubs only came on 55's from 75-79 they are somewhat rare. The latters are dime a dozen since they are the same as a mini truck, 60 etc.

All 40's had drive plates from the factory with dealer added locking hubs

All the 55's came stock with aisin hubs with disc brakes from the factory 75+. I'm not sure about pre 75 but I would assume they came with driveplates and then got either selectro or warns from the dealer.

HTH

60wag 02-07-2007 03:25 PM

Thanks. That's what I suspected.

IanB 02-07-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesintl (Post 26510)
I'm not aware of a course spline aisin. I believe they started in 75ish with the disc brakes and fine spline. There is a difference though in the body length of a 75-78 aisin and a 79+ due to the birf length. Since the aisin hubs only came on 55's from 75-79 they are somewhat rare. The latters are dime a dozen since they are the same as a mini truck, 60 etc.

All 40's had drive plates from the factory with dealer added locking hubs

All the 55's came stock with aisin hubs with disc brakes from the factory 75+. I'm not sure about pre 75 but I would assume they came with driveplates and then got either selectro or warns from the dealer.

HTH

Can you clarify on the difference in body length on the Aisin? I pulled mine off an FJ-60 to put on a 1976, but I am going Longfields (no c clip)

wesintl 02-07-2007 04:27 PM

You won't have any issues. Essentially it's a latter birf in length, ala fj60 and with an aisin hub your fine.

nuclearlemon 02-07-2007 06:57 PM

i've heard of the elusive course aisin, but never seen one.

btw, if your friend needs hubs, i've got a set of course selectros he can make an offer on. i'm cleaning out more stuff again.

IanB 02-07-2007 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesintl (Post 26585)
You won't have any issues. Essentially it's a latter birf in length, ala fj60 and with an aisin hub your fine.

Kick ass, thanks. :cheers:

wesintl 02-08-2007 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclearlemon (Post 26599)
i've heard of the elusive course aisin, but never seen one.

Likewise. So if it's really the case we need pics :thumb:

60wag 02-08-2007 05:15 PM

I'll find out the whole story, w/ pics.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.