Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Trails and ratings (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5363)

subzali 11-28-2007 07:12 AM

Trails and ratings

I don't know if it's somewhere else on our site here, but I ended up going to the Jan/Feb 2007 issue of TT to find trail descriptions and ratings, and thought it might be a good idea to have a list of what trails are planned on being a part of Cruise Moab and what their ratings are, so guys with borderline trucks like mine :D can prepare a little bit before registering...

I don't know if this is the appropriate place or if it could/should be a sticky or what Wes wants...but I guess I'll start the list...

3 - Stock
Possible scratches

3+ - Stock Plus
Experienced Driver
31"+ tires, damage possible

4 - Modified
All of above, plus
1 full diff lock recommended

4+ - Hardcore
Experienced driver only
33" or taller tires
1 full diff lock required
Winch recommended
Damage likely

5 - Extreme
All of above, plus
2 full diff locks required

Pritchett Canyon - 5
Behind the Rocks - 4+
Golden Spike - 4+
Moab Rim - 4+
Cliff Hanger - 4
Hell's Revenge - 4
Kane Creek Canyon - 4
Metal Masher - 4
Poison Spider Mesa - 4
Steel Bender - 4
Elephant Hill - 3+
Fins & Things - 3+
Gold Bar Rim - 3+
Wipe-Out Hill - 3+
Porcupine Rim - 3
Chicken Corners - 2
Overnight Run - 3+

Red_Chili 11-28-2007 07:41 AM

JMHO, but I would say Golden Spike is more like a 4.

Unless you try Double Whammy like a moron... :eek: :flop:

Steelbender is more like a 3+

Uncle Ben 11-28-2007 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red_Chili (Post 52388)
JMHO, but I would say Golden Spike is more like a 4.

Unless you try Double Whammy like a moron... :eek:

Agreed! Golden Spike should not be referenced the same a Behind the Rocks!

Double Whammy should be rated a 3! ;) :hill: :bowdown::kevin::robbie:http://www.aspenstand.com/ptarm.gif

subzali 11-28-2007 07:49 AM

Hey, it's what TT said for CM last year! Check out Jan/Feb 2007, pg. 56!

JMHO, I think Cliffhanger may be getting harder as time goes by, and might be worth thinking about bumping it to 4+. But then I'm biased and scared because I broke on it. True I probably should have winched earlier than I did, but still...

Uncle Ben 11-28-2007 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali (Post 52393)
Hey, it's what TT said for CM last year! Check out Jan/Feb 2007, pg. 56!

JMHO, I think Cliffhanger may be getting harder as time goes by, and might be worth thinking about bumping it to 4+. But then I'm biased and scared because I broke on it. True I probably should have winched earlier than I did, but still...

The ratings RS uses are what Red Rock 4 Wheelers place on trails for Easter Heep Safari.

You are being way to hard on yourself about breaking! Often the difference between a great line and a bad one is only a few inches over! The more you wheel the better you will be at looking like a hero by the lines you take! Can't teach that stuff on a computer or in a book! Takes time, patience and broken parts! :thumb: :thumb:

wesintl 11-28-2007 09:34 AM

I'll have to fix the link on the cruise moab page. We use

Trail Ratings

Hulk 11-28-2007 01:01 PM

This is part of the overnight run again this year. I agree with the 4 rating.

Hotel Rock
Rating: 4
This trail starts and finishes South of Blanding, Utah in the vicinity of Comb Ridge, South of the Abajo Mountains. Hotel Rock is located on Baullie Mesa.

Hulk 11-28-2007 02:25 PM

Hey, did you guys see this?

NOTE: Effective January 2008 all trail ratings will be changed to a 1 thru 10 system

wesintl 11-28-2007 02:33 PM

that'll make it easier to understand :rolleyes:

corsair23 11-28-2007 03:03 PM

Interesting and I'm still not sure I fully understand how they come up with ratings...

Last year I ran Porcupine Rim, Fins & Things, and Poison Spider Mesa. IMO Porcupine Rim was the tougher of the trails mainly due to the "pucker factor" in spots running along the rim on uneven, off camber, sections.

After running it on the first day I was worried what days 2 & 3 would bring being that both trails were rated 4s. Well, I enjoyed the 4 rated trails much more as I don't recall there being much in the way of pucker factor areas. Maybe the fact that they are more "technical" with some of the obstacles grants them a higher rating?

Sometimes I think for me to really enjoy offroading I'm gonna need a vehicle with an exo cage that I have absolutely no worries about rolling, denting, scratching, crushing, etc. :hill: