Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Thermostat questions... (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=595)

FJBen 12-28-2005 02:58 PM

Thermostat questions...

well, a few months ago I got a new OEM waterpump...and like a dumass I didn't change the thermostat...it seams to be leaking right there now. I'm assuming I'm going to have to drain the coolant out to change this???

And I should prolly replace the thermo and said gaskets even tho I have heat...it's more of a weeping very slow leak.

Ya know...you'd a thunk that after fixing all the leaking oil seals on the cruiser that I'd have an oil leak long before some sort of coolant leak...actually 2 coolant leaks now. :confused:

She went about 5 months without a single leak...now...they have been coolant...sheesh...

Rzeppa 12-28-2005 03:21 PM

You don't have to drain ALL the coolant, just enough to get the level below where you're going to be working. If your radiator petcock works (often they're rusted closed), you're in luck, just drain into an empty antifreeze jug, probably a gallon should do it. You didn't mention whether it was where the top half of the housing attaches to the bottom half, or where the bottom half attaches to the head? In any case, don't forget the round rubber gasket that goes on top of the thermostat! This gasket (o-ring in Toyota parts jargon) prevents coolant from bypassing the thermostat when it's supposed to be closed.

These are easy gaskets to replace, but hard to scrape the old gasket and gunga off the old surfaces. Also, do NOT overtighten the two bolts that hold the top half of the housing onto the bottom half, it's easy to strip the alloy (don't ask me how I know this :-)

Maddmatt 12-29-2005 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzeppa
These are easy gaskets to replace, but hard to scrape the old gasket and gunga off the old surfaces. Also, do NOT overtighten the two bolts that hold the top half of the housing onto the bottom half, it's easy to strip the alloy (don't ask me how I know this :-)

Word. Also lube up those bolts with your favorite pre-wrenching additive, WD40, etc... pretty well first. It's easy to break those bad boys off in the housing too. don't ask me how I know that.
-Matt

nakman 12-29-2005 10:13 AM

Quote:

don't ask me how I know that.
Yeah, but how did you FIX it after it happened? :D

Rzeppa 12-29-2005 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a photo of the top gasket:

FJBen 12-29-2005 03:02 PM

Very cool, thanks for the help guys. Better order me up some parts. This will be the 3rd time I've had to mess with coolant since the summer. :(

Once when I put the engine in..

Then the waterpump...

now this...woot woot! I'll prolly just do it next year ;)

Rzeppa 12-29-2005 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FJBen
I'll prolly just do it next year ;)

Heh. As of right now, I've put most of my projects on hold until next year :-)