Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Blackstone Report... (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=6121)

corsair23 02-12-2008 12:30 AM

Blackstone Report...

Ok, so this is the first one I have had done. This is for the '97 FZJ80.

What do you all think? It seems like a good report and I'm assuming Blackstone doesn't just sugar coat the comments right? I'm probably like many 80 owners that are just waiting for their HG to go but it doesn't appear that is likely in the near future based on this. And, this seems to corroborate what most say about running Mobil 1 syn 5K miles or more with no worries. Of course it takes us about 7+ months to drive the FZJ80 5K miles so I think I'll stick with just changing the oil etc. every 6 months and keep an eye on it...

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...port2-2008.jpg

corsair23 05-28-2009 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm still doing the Blackstone oil analysis...I guess I'm a little :eek: about my HG going in either the 80 or the LX. I thought my fellow 80 series owners might be interested in seeing the results. I ran the oil ~3 months longer than I meant to (:doh:) but it doesn't seem to have mattered. Had to add 2 qts of oil over the 9 months so not bad (seems to be about average). Funny how the mileage between changes ended up where it did...You'll understand that if you are a Colorado native :hill:.

If you're interested, the oil I've used is: For the first and second reports I was running Mobil 1 0W/40 - For this latest report I was running the Mobil 1 10W/40 High Mileage oil. While it might seem that my oil burn increased, in fairness I added 1 qt of oil just before CM09 and probably didn't need to but I wasn't positive when I was going to get around to changing the oil...

Bottom line for me is that changing the oil in the 80 every 6 months is fine (given the mileage it sees in that time) AND more importantly it looks like I can hold off for a little while longer on placing that call to Robbie to get on his calendar for a HG replacement :cool:

Attachment 13003

nakman 05-28-2009 11:22 PM

That's cool stuff! I have no idea what "good" numbers are though, did you have to fast first?

corsair23 05-29-2009 02:48 AM

No fasting required :hill: - As for what are good numbers, that is probably something one could find at BITOG but I'm good with consistency...

subzali 05-29-2009 07:34 AM

Please explain more about Blackstone reporting - it looks/sounds like they take a sample of your used oil and do an analysis on it. How much does that cost? How do you get the sample to them? What all can they tell from the analysis?

Jacket 05-29-2009 11:10 AM

It's about $22 a sample. They send you a free kit in the mail (couple bottles, zip lock, etc. for a secure mailing), and you send them a small sample of the oil. You can see on Jeff's report that they have national benchmarks for your engine that they compare against, plus they'll comment on anything else you ask about or they observe (such as the TBN).

I think your first submission is good for checking you against the overall benchmarks, but from then on out each additional submission gives you numbers to trend against the baseline you set on your own rig. So you can see trends or problem areas that appear over time specific to your rig.

I don't send mine in on every oil change, but I check in every 15k or so to see how things look.

Air Randy 05-29-2009 11:53 AM

I've used Blackstone for many years on all of the various diesel rigs I have owned. I found that I could routinely go 10,000 miles between oil changes using regular 15w40 with plenty of safety margin. In fact, I could just change the filter at 10,000 miles and add 2 qts for what was lost in changing the filter and easily go another 5,000 miles with plenty of safety margin (adequate additives left with minimum particulates and fuel).

I routinely got 200,000 plus miles out of all those motors with zero failures. The ones I know of are still running fine without any major repairs.

Everyone has their own opinions and if changing your oil every 6 months or 5,000 mile is what makes you comfortable, then that is what is right for you. But, if you use the oil test reports on a regular basis you will find you can go much farther between changes with complete safety, especially when you're using the expensive synthetic stuff.

rover67 05-29-2009 02:27 PM

maybe I'll try it on the 60 the next time I change the oil. I tend to wait kind-of a long time between changes on that thing.

corsair23 05-29-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtnTrucker (Post 108349)
Everyone has their own opinions and if changing your oil every 6 months or 5,000 mile is what makes you comfortable, then that is what is right for you.

I'm just getting over the "beaten into my head" rule that you MUST change your oil every 3mos/3k miles whichever comes first :hill: - small steps...

One thing I take into consideration is type of driving and both my 80 and LX see mostly city driving, thus the low miles over a relatively long time.

subzali 12-16-2011 09:37 AM

Hot off the press in California:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,4554184.story