Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   New website Quetions from a dumb Texan (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=628)

waggoner5 01-05-2006 01:57 PM

New website Quetions from a dumb Texan

Well I have been spying on you guys for a while now and thought I better post up something just in case someone was thinking of talking some BS about Texans.

Anyway, first, sorry I wasn't able to make the 1/01/06 snow run but the wife was ready to get home. So what do you do?

Second. Dinner was great. Thanks Ken for putting that together.

Third. Business. It seems that this list works well for the Rising Sun members and since these dummies down here in Texas have elected me to preside over their club, I thought I would change things up on the way we communicate. We now use an e-mail list which works fine, but I want a complete facelift including a web based forum like this one. Is there any negatives? A couple of people in our club have expressed concern that there might be sensitve or confidential info that we may not want non members to read. I can't figure out what that might be though.
Do you guys have a seperate forum or e-mail list that you use to talk meeting type stuff? Just curious. Not wanting to pry, but more want to give us a face lift and looking for opinons. I hope you ya'll had a good "Holidays"
Maybe by next year I will be there more permanently.
Gary

treerootCO 01-05-2006 02:18 PM

there is a member's only section but you can't see it unless you are a member

IanB 01-05-2006 02:18 PM

We have a "Members Only" section which not only is not public, but the section itself isn't even visible to non-members. I recomend getting good PHPBB software though, our old forum got hacked a few months ago.

...and Welcome. I have been watching your build up on mud, great work! :bowdown:

waggoner5 01-05-2006 02:20 PM

Great, these are the things I need to know.
I hope to have the 45 ready for Moab but who knows.
Gary

wesintl 01-05-2006 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waggoner5
Is there any negatives? A couple of people in our club have expressed concern that there might be sensitve or confidential info that we may not want non members to read. I can't figure out what that might be though.
Do you guys have a seperate forum or e-mail list that you use to talk meeting type stuff? Just curious. Not wanting to pry, but more want to give us a face lift and looking for opinons. I hope you ya'll had a good "Holidays"
Gary

Hi Gary, Sorry I didn't make the dinner ken had set up. It's a busy time over the holidays :)

Personally I don't think there is a negative to forums. Some members may not be that web savy or resistant to change from e-mail to a forum.

The pluses are that pics are easily posted, there are different sections as you know to keep things seperated. That leads into yes we have a "members only", "cruise moab committee" and "rally committee" sections that are secure for only those member that are apart of the group. Plus I believe we made a ammendment to our bylaws that online voting can occur on isssues using a poll. This is nice for those that can't make it to the meeting etc.

The vbulletin software it $160 and then if you choose $30 for upgrades yearly after that. http://www.vbulletin.com/

treerootCO 01-05-2006 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
pic

Uncle Ben 01-05-2006 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waggoner5
Well I have been spying on you guys for a while now and thought I better post up something just in case someone was thinking of talking some BS about Texans.

Anyway, first, sorry I wasn't able to make the 1/01/06 snow run but the wife was ready to get home. So what do you do?

Second. Dinner was great. Thanks Ken for putting that together.

Third. Business. It seems that this list works well for the Rising Sun members and since these dummies down here in Texas have elected me to preside over their club, I thought I would change things up on the way we communicate. We now use an e-mail list which works fine, but I want a complete facelift including a web based forum like this one. Is there any negatives? A couple of people in our club have expressed concern that there might be sensitve or confidential info that we may not want non members to read. I can't figure out what that might be though.
Gary

Gary,
Sorry I missed dinner, I really wanted to meet you! Secondly, we waited for an hour for you to show up on the run but you didn't. ....OK so we didn't but it made for a good story... ;)

You only think you are spying on us! Unless you have bribed our very talented moderators you do not see the super secret threads that we use to talk about Texans on. Also, each committee has a extra super secret forum that we also bad mouth Texans on. So you see we are not as sweet and innocent as we appear! This new forum has worked very well for us and has really helped with pre meeting communication.

Hope to see ya soon! :beer: :beer:

waggoner5 01-05-2006 03:08 PM

Great response...I know better than anyone waiting an hour on me. $160 sound cheap enough. I wondered where that software came from that everyone uses. I guess I should have looked closer. Thanks.
Gary

Rzeppa 01-05-2006 03:51 PM

Hi Gary,

Sorry I missed seeing you at the dinner. Hopefully see ya at Moab! Anyway, it sounds like you got most of the answers you were asking.

We had an email list exclusively for years, it was for members-only. When we first started out with the forum, most still used the email list and we had both going in parallel for a while. After about a year or so, the forum participation expanded and the list traffic dropped off. So after another several months, after advance warning, we shut down the list. As has been mentioned, we have the member's only section to discuss things like Texan jokes, away from the public eye. But you don't have to worry, we have Kipper to kick around for that ;-)

So ya got a 45 project eh? No Mercruiser or HJ61 this year I guess. My 45's not for wheeling, it's too purty. See a couple photos of it in the "Varmits" post I made a week or so ago.

Happy cruisin'!

74fj40 01-05-2006 03:51 PM

i didnt know there was a rlly comitee forum :confused: