Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Rubithon 2008 planning (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Routes to (and from) Rubithon (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=6429)

Hulk 03-10-2008 01:08 AM

Routes to (and from) Rubithon

Just doing a little Google Maps work.

My initial route from Denver to Placerville, CA takes us north to I-80 for the entire trip. Here is a link to the map. According to Google Maps, this is 1,175 miles – about 16 hours 37 mins.

Placerville -- how close is this to the actual entrance to the Rubicon Trail?

Hulk 03-10-2008 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver (Post 58294)
I don't mind hustling back and taking extra time getting out to CA. I would like to take the ferry at Hall's Crossing, go down through Big Thomson Mesa in UT and Paradox Valley in CO. I know there's other stuff I would like to see, just haven't had time to really stop and think more about it.

Here's the route I put together: LINK

Robbie says two days, but it wouldn't bother me if it took 3.

For the sake of putting everything in one place, I am posting up Dave's non-interstate route. I love doing these trips on 2-lane roads, and am very tempted to ask for an additional day off, so that I can take 3 days coming back from the Rubithon and do this route.

Honestly, this also makes me reconsider my decision to bring my 80 -- a route like this in the 40 could be legendary.

Hulk 03-10-2008 01:17 AM

Answering my own question here. Just found a map that Nakman had posted a few months ago. Looks like Placerville is 40 miles from the trailhead.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...1&d=1199302749

Hulk 03-10-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Ben (Post 65634)
Matt,
Your routes posted on the planning stages are spot on! I-80 route is very quick and I guess I just do not see why driving a 40 or mini that way is such a big deal? That has been done since 1958 when the first American Cruiser hit our shores! Heaven forbid we save any fuel in the Luxowagons by not doing 80-90 all the way! :eek:

The part that surprises me is getting from here to Salt Lake City.

Via I-80 (WY): 533 mi about 7 hours 27 mins
Via I-70 (CO): 526 mi about 8 hours 17 mins

I haven't made this drive since 1997. Anyone have a preference?

AxleIke 03-10-2008 08:58 AM

My experience with Google has been to add a few hours to their estimate. I'd guess 20 hours.

Uncle Ben 03-10-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AxleIke (Post 65650)
My experience with Google has been to add a few hours to their estimate. I'd guess 20 hours.

His numbers are pretty good actually. Takes about 10 hours to get to Wendover and 6 more to get to Lake Tahoe.

RockRunner 03-10-2008 09:10 AM

We will be leaving a week earlier than most folks and had planned on doing the I-80 route to miss the BIG hills. Since we will be towing the 4Runner the fewer grades the better.

What Sharon and I are looking to figure out is where to stop on the way up here. Figuring on 8-12 hours of driving to get to Sonoma CA. Before that we would like to drop off the 4Runner somewhere near the start of the trail. That place is still to be determined and suggestions are appreciated. From there we will go to Sonoma and on to Stinson Beach and other places. We then plan on coming back to the trail head the night before and hopefully staying in a hotel/motel, any suggestions???

On the way back we may stay an extra day after and spend some time around Lake Tahoe. We would like to stay in a hotel/motel again that night so we can clean up and refresh ourselves for the drive back.

nakman 03-10-2008 10:14 AM

We need to be camped out close to Reno on Tuesday night, can we do that? At least one of us needs to go to downtown Reno and pick up Mr. 60wag, who is flying in. Would be funner if someone else wanted to drive up there with me, but not required. Also there's pretty beautiful camping up by N. Lake Tahoe that may be nice to do the night before the trip, not sure what's down in Placerville though I've never been there. I just don't want to be halfway to Sacto if I'm going to be driving up to Reno later, that's all.

Hulk 03-10-2008 10:47 AM

The real question is:
Where can I get me one of them Col. Sanders string ties? Yowza!

nakman 03-10-2008 11:00 AM

Flight gets in at 19:30. Yeah, let's go throw down some dice.. in the biggest little city in the world.