Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Rubithon 2008 planning (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Spare Parts Thread (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=6430)

Romer 03-10-2008 08:32 AM

Spare Parts Thread

Thought I would start one on Spares and whats needed:

I have for an 80:
Front Axles, seals and one spare birf
Rear axles and seals
Fusible Links
Spare EFI
Spare (old) Fuel Pump Relay
Spare Fuel Pumo
Spare clamps and fuel line
Assoreted spare coolent lines
Spare (Old) distributor cap and wires
Spare (old) brake lines
Spare Fuses

Special tools for on the trail;
54MM hub socket
Rear axle SST

RockRunner 03-10-2008 10:27 AM

My parts are for a mini but may fit others?

Short and long axles with birfs
Rear drive shaft
Front axle seals
Power steering hose(s)?
Belts
Other miscellaneous parts.

60wag 03-10-2008 12:10 PM

I've got an extra 80 birf - do ya think they'll let me carry that on an airplane? :)

DaveInDenver 03-10-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockRunner (Post 65661)
My parts are for a mini but may fit others?

Short and long axles with birfs
Rear drive shaft
Front axle seals
Power steering hose(s)?
Belts
Other miscellaneous parts.

We do need to make sure not to end up with tons of redundant parts that are bulky, heavy and don't have a huge chance of breaking. Not sure what those might be (maybe only 1 water pump, 1 oil pump, set of front and rear wheel bearings, etc amongst all of us). But I'm bringing at least one and probably two extra CV axles for my IFS. The drive shaft issue, see I have an XtraCab with the two-piece rear and it's a mile long. So do I find or build an extra drive shaft or just collect all the u-joints and carrier bearing and hobble something together? Just dunno right now.

RockRunner 03-10-2008 02:40 PM

I say piece it together or find out what end is the most likely to break and bring that side only.

powderpig 03-10-2008 08:58 PM

You guys may also want to talk about what recovery devices you all may have and are going to carry. I know many have Ham radios. What about one sat phone for the trip, split between you all in case of unhappy moment( I will be behind you guys with a sat phone in the FJ crew, but that may be a bit too far. But I will have a HT with me and on with spare batteries). First aid kits and what levels every one is at. At least(if not two) person/s(at a min) should be responsiable for med history (of every one in the group) and drugs needed and where located(diabeties, bee sting kit,etc). Just more stuff to talk about.
Any way more useless thoughts from the peanut gallery I call home.
It might be important for you all to know where UB's depends are when he has one of those moments!!!

Uncle Ben 03-10-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powderpig (Post 65763)
You guys may also want to talk about what recovery devices you all may have and are going to carry. I know many have Ham radios. What about one sat phone for the trip, split between you all in case of unhappy moment( I will be behind you guys with a sat phone in the FJ crew, but that may be a bit too far. But I will have a HT with me and on with spare batteries). First aid kits and what levels every one is at. At least(if not two) person/s(at a min) should be responsiable for med history (of every one in the group) and drugs needed and where located(diabeties, bee sting kit,etc). Just more stuff to talk about.
Any way more useless thoughts from the peanut gallery I call home.
It might be important for you all to know where UB's depends are when he has one of those moments!!!

Ouch... :brick:

RockRunner 03-11-2008 09:42 AM

Good points Robbie!!

Maybe a good thing to start an outline of things needed to discuss and bring, then we can meet up and cover all those points one at a time. People can prepare information ahead of the meeting as to what they can and can't do and what they have.

Sounds just like our Powell trips...................BTW we did have somebody allergic to shrimp there, started to swell up if not for one of our guys who brought a first aid kit with an Epinephrine shot it could have been much worse.

Convert 03-13-2008 07:38 PM

PARTS
Long and short front axles with Birfs
coolant hoses
belts
fluids
spill kit/ brake kleen
mics electrical stuff

RECOVERY
12k winch
50' extension
full compliment of straps,d-ring and accessories
high lift with add on recovery kit
bunch of mics stuff

woooody 04-15-2008 05:45 PM

Just a thought, but the majority of parts that you might need will be available from "the regulars". It might make sense to leave the bulkiest in a tow rig at Loon, and travel into the springs lighter. Most guys are pretty good about giving you their spare, and letting you replace it once you get off the trail. You could even leave it a Robbs resort if you are leaving earlier.

I used to pack a ton of stuff, but have since lightened my load, and left 3rd members, and some other bulky items with tow rig. Makes packing/traveling easier.

Most common major damage is birfs, pinions, and xfer cases. Carry anything special to your rig (Heim joints, HEI, TBi, etc).