Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Rubithon 2008 planning (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Not sure I have the money to go to Rubithon (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=6589)

Hulk 03-24-2008 04:14 PM

Not sure I have the money to go to Rubithon

Did an honest assessment yesterday of whether I could really afford this trip. I'm really not sure.

If I'm going to go, I want 35" tires and enough lift to deal with them. When I talked with Tony Twiddy, he said the one 80-series with 33" tires that ran the Rubithon last year really struggled.

I'm going to need tires fairly soon anyway, although if I buy another set of 285s I will only need 4, since my used spare is still in good shape. But I can potentially take these out of the equation, since I'm going to need tires whether I go to Rubithon or not.

I'm just not sure if I can afford the 4" lift I'll need to clear the 35" tires. And then there's another $750-1000 in fuel costs for the trip. Plus food and an occasional motel room. I figure to do this thing right, I'm going to need $1800 for food/gas/lodging + $2200 for a 4" lift + $1200 for tires. That's $5200 that I don't have.

I could probably get my FJ40 ready for action with less money. If I cut the rear wheel wells, I could stuff 35" tires in there now (I have a 4" lift on it now). I have some 4.11 diffs in my garage, ready to be swapped in. Beyond that, I probably need to do some fluid replacement. But then I'm faced with 2500 miles in an FJ40 -- I'm not sure whether that really sounds like fun. I'd still have to buy some tires, although for the 40 I could buy some used ones, since it's not my DD.

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up. I haven't made a decision yet, but I'm pretty gloomy today.

:(

DaveInDenver 03-24-2008 04:26 PM

Man, if I'm gonna try this with 2" of lift, 33x9.50 ATs and IFS, an 80 series should be a walk in the park in comparison. Get what you can done and if it's too brutal, I won't be the only one who parks at the trailhead and thumbs a ride into camp for $200 t-shirts. BTW, the main reason I'm even trying is that people get 122" wheelbase Tacomas through there (Scott Brady just recently) on ~33" tires and the only way in heck I have a chance is with guys like UB spotting.

subzali 03-24-2008 04:37 PM

Matt, seems to me that an FJ40 on 33s would do the Rubicon fine (IIRC it's the minimum requirements), but I've never been there and you're still stuck with the road trip in a SWB 25+ year old vehicle. But boy that would be a lot of fun - I would ride with you there and back :thumb:

Romer 03-24-2008 04:59 PM

Don't you have a rider splitting the food gas and loging? Just want to make sure the math is right.

nakman 03-24-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romer (Post 67568)
Don't you have a rider splitting the food gas and loging? Just want to make sure the math is right.

And doesn't your rider also own a built up 80? maybe he should drive :D

Hulk 03-24-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali (Post 67565)
Matt, seems to me that an FJ40 on 33s would do the Rubicon fine (IIRC it's the minimum requirements), but I've never been there and you're still stuck with the road trip in a SWB 25+ year old vehicle. But boy that would be a lot of fun - I would ride with you there and back :thumb:

Aren't you driving your 40?

You're probably right. I could probably just take my 40 as is and be fine.

I'm just not sure the trip would be much fun. Driving out to Moab in the 40 wears me out. It's hot, very noisy, and jostles the crap out of me to the point of nausea.

subzali 03-24-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hulk (Post 67571)
Aren't you driving your 40?

No, I'm riding the whole way. I ain't ready to take my 40 the way it is on the Rubicon, and that's okay, I'm biding my time so I can do it right when I am ready :p:

I know it's a long way, but you put the ear plugs in, set your foot in the cruise position ;), switch drivers every few hours and get out and stretch as much as you can (probably every 2-3 hours due to having to top off the tank), I bet it's doable.

You're right though - late June cruising through Nevada and Utah in a non-air conditioned vehicle - I've thought of things that were more fun - but think about the Rubicon in an FJ40...

Uncle Ben 03-24-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali (Post 67575)
No, I'm riding the whole way. I ain't ready to take my 40 the way it is on the Rubicon, and that's okay, I'm biding my time so I can do it right when I am ready :p:

I know it's a long way, but you put the ear plugs in, set your foot in the cruise position ;), switch drivers every few hours and get out and stretch as much as you can (probably every 2-3 hours due to having to top off the tank), I bet it's doable.

Man....if I didn't know better I would think you had a straight axle mini/runner! :lmao: :bolt:

corsair23 03-24-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romer (Post 67568)

EXACTLY :D - Although that won't help with the "other" stuff :o...How much of an absolute requirement is the 4" lift and 35s :confused:...35s buy you what, an 1" more clearance? What are you guys running suspension wise with your 35s? I didn't think anyone in the club had Slee's 4" lift installed :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakman (Post 67569)
And doesn't your rider also own a built up 80? maybe he should drive :D

:eek: - You funny...No way I'm ready for the Rubicon that's why I'm hoping to hitch a ride :hill:. And Matt and I are pretty much set up identically right now rig wise only he'll have a much prettier engine here soon :thumb:.

Romer 03-24-2008 05:53 PM

I am running J's and L shocks