Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   80 acting up since Moab (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7109)

timmbuck2 05-13-2008 10:31 AM

80 acting up since Moab

My 80 has been acting a little strange the last week or 2. Before Moab the truck was sideswiped and I had to replace the steering box. After a quick alignment, she was driving great. Added a 2.5" lift 2 days before Moab, the drive out was perfect, 90+MPH with no issues on I70. Drove trails for a week, everything seemed fine, late in the week I noticed the alignement was off, the steering wheel is pointed slightly to the right when the wheels are pointed straight ahead. I will take it back to Bear this week. Everything still tracks good though. Get some high pitched squealing and scraping, probably front brake pads, will check those this weekend. Now I notice a vibration or noise, especially around 30-40 MPH. Seems to increase when I give it gas, but if I let off the gas is goes away, and if I put it in neutral and give it gas, I don't hear it at all, so I don't think it is engine related. Driveshaft maybe?? The drive home from Moab was fine. Sometimes there is a slight hesitation from a dead stop...and at a stop light it sometimes feels like the engine has a slight miss every once in awhile. Just changed the oil before Moab, will replace spark plugs and air filter this weekend. Any ideas on the vibration?? Thanks 80 experts. :) :beer::bowdown::beer::bowdown:

T

Nay 05-13-2008 10:47 AM

I'd recheck that all of your bolts are tight since you replaced control arms. Get under and take a good look that nothing is bent or loose. I'd do all of that before I started replacing anything.

RockRunner 05-13-2008 11:19 AM

Your vibration noise may be coming from your drive shafts, actually your U joints or Cardin. i had some bad squealing and vibration coming from my truck and once I checked the U joints I found one ready to blow up.

The other stuff i would contribute to loose bolts, Like Nay said check them all and have a new alignment done but before that check your drive shafts.

Uncle Ben 05-13-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockRunner (Post 73807)
Your vibration noise may be coming from your drive shafts, actually your U joints or Cardin. i had some bad squealing and vibration coming from my truck and once I checked the U joints I found one ready to blow up.

The other stuff i would contribute to loose bolts, Like Nay said check them all and have a new alignment done but before that check your drive shafts.

I would check the knuckle bearing flanges! Definitely sounds like something has loosened!

Romer 05-13-2008 11:48 AM

Those flanges loosen up on a lot of folks.

I didn't think you made it to Moab, never saw you there.

timmbuck2 05-13-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romer (Post 73813)
Those flanges loosen up on a lot of folks.

I didn't think you made it to Moab, never saw you there.

I was there from Sunday to Sunday. :) Camped several nights in Bride Canyon (take a left before you hit gooney bird rock on gemini bridges road) then hoteled it. Needed some time away from people, had a few things going on. Did make it to Neil and Kim's run of Metal Masher. Ended up running Fins a couple of hourse behind you on Saturday, heard you on the CB and passed the group when you were hiking down to something. Sorry I was unavailable to help out, had some stuff to take care of.

T

corsair23 05-13-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmbuck2 (Post 73800)
Sometimes there is a slight hesitation from a dead stop...and at a stop light it sometimes feels like the engine has a slight miss every once in awhile. Just changed the oil before Moab, will replace spark plugs and air filter this weekend.

On these issues, from what I have read, you may want to take off and inspect the air intake tube for cracks...Especially in the "accordian" area of the tube. While you're cleaning all of the wonderful red Moab dust out of the air filter you can inspect the tube :)

I have the "stumble" at idle which I'm hoping between a good tune up and the MAF housing and sensor it will finally go away. It just annoys the $%^& out of me :rolleyes:

Kipper 05-13-2008 12:38 PM

not sure what happened when it was sideswiped, but if the steering box had to be replaced, definitely check wheel bearings too. if they are gonna go, it's almost always after a hard wheeling trip.

Red_Chili 05-13-2008 12:42 PM

Put a wrench on everything. Then just roll under there with your favorite frosty brew or sumthin', and let your eyes gaze at EVERYthing. You'd be surprised what you see.

Grab everything and look for any play, etc. etc.

timmbuck2 05-14-2008 08:49 AM

rolled under there yesterday, did not see anything obvious. No loose bolts, bent anything, etc. Lubed up the driveshafts, the U joints looked and felt ok, but I am not an expert. The vibration is mainly there from 30-45 MPH and the worst at 40, and only under power. I was going up a hill yesterday under relatively heavy throttle, and at 40 the vibration was bad. Let up on the gas and immediately the vibration went away...