Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   MAF Mod (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7258)

Shark Bait 05-31-2008 07:37 PM

MAF Mod

Put mine in this afternoon and drove around for several hours. At first take, I think I like it. My 80 definitely idles smoother & quieter and I think it performs better. Seems nicer to drive. Could just be the power of suggestion, but so for it's good. :thumb:

nakman 05-31-2008 09:21 PM

did mine today too. Also did new spark plugs and changed the oil. Truck seems to run ok, despite the noisy PS pump, but that'll get corrected soon enough.

Felt good to finally get a little wrench time in. :beer:

jjhancock 06-01-2008 11:30 PM

Is this the LandTank MAFsensor or did I completely miss the boat on a cool new mod for my 80? I'm interested to hear more about it!

corsair23 06-02-2008 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhancock (Post 75757)
Is this the LandTank MAFsensor or did I completely miss the boat on a cool new mod for my 80? I'm interested to hear more about it!

Yes it is :D

Wish I had mine installed but they'll have to wait until probably after the Rubicon trip...Chris and Tim, any tips on the install? Matt and I will be installing his on Thursday along with some other tidbits :thumb:

Also, were your housings a little "boogered" up? Nothing major, just superficial shipping "wounds" to the outside of the housings on all 3 I picked, and probably something a black sharpie can probably take care of I think :hill:

Hants 06-02-2008 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corsair23 (Post 75762)
Also, were your housings a little "boogered" up? Nothing major, just superficial shipping "wounds" to the outside of the housings on all 3 I picked, and probably something a black sharpie can probably take care of I think :hill:

Bargain prices, bargain pieces. :rolleyes:

:lmao:

Shark Bait 06-02-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corsair23 (Post 75762)
Chris and Tim, any tips on the install? Matt and I will be installing his on Thursday along with some other tidbits :thumb:
:

Yes. Not having messed with it before, the "locking tab" is the white piece inside the plug. I managed to break the locking tab that keeps the plug locked in the sensor. I don't think it's a major deal. The plug is in there pretty tight. I might try and glue the tab back in. I might not. Any idea how much the replacement plug body is? :o Also, old eyes had a little trouble seeing the pin latches, but I got that figured out. Otherwise it wasn't too bad. :p:

What's the discussion about intake air temps? Do they need to be lowered somehow?

60wag 06-02-2008 01:07 PM

The wire locking tabs took me a few minutes to figure out. The instructions aren't too detailed. FOrtunately the plastic in the connector is isn't too brittle, (unlike some other cars I own.)

The intake air temp discussion is unrelated to the MAF mod. I just happened to get my test going at the same time as the MAF install. The goal with lowered the air temp is to get the density up - just like adding an intercooler to a turbo or a blower.

jjhancock 06-02-2008 01:34 PM

Very interested to hear what you guys have to say about the difference in performance and / or any mpg increases. Keep us posted!

corsair23 06-02-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark Bait (Post 75781)
Yes. Not having messed with it before, the "locking tab" is the white piece inside the plug. I managed to break the locking tab that keeps the plug locked in the sensor. I don't think it's a major deal. The plug is in there pretty tight. I might try and glue the tab back in. I might not. Any idea how much the replacement plug body is? :o Also, old eyes had a little trouble seeing the pin latches, but I got that figured out. Otherwise it wasn't too bad. :p:

What's the discussion about intake air temps? Do they need to be lowered somehow?

I "think" the plug body is pretty cheap IIRC from what I've read (on MUD)...And sorry for confusing the issue re: the MAF mod and IA temp study. Just figured if Bruce was looking for an apples to apples comparison Hants might be the guy on that :thumb:. I'm not sure where the IA temp sensor is and what, if any, effect the freer flowing MAF might have.

Red_Chili 06-03-2008 09:52 AM

So with you guys going for lowered air intake temps...
The consensus elsewhere (and seems based on experience) is that with colder temps (and more air density), the ECM balances with more fuel, resulting in more power.

And worse economy.

Is that what you are shooting for?