Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cure for an 80 sized belly ache.... (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7344)

Uncle Ben 06-10-2008 09:08 AM

Cure for an 80 sized belly ache....

2 Attachment(s)
There's gonna be a new plate in town......well there will be if the rocks of Rubicon lose! This is a proto-type and 1 of 2 being tested. I will do my best to trash it! ;)

Here is a before Rubicon picture and also for reference the IPOR beast.... (The IPOR appears to have more clearance but the new Slee prototype actually hugs the t-case about 3/4" closer and the SP also "seems" lighter.....) I love the FJ-40 retro look! :cool:

Red_Chili 06-10-2008 09:42 AM

Is there a vertical component to the design? To resist the twist?

waggoner5 06-10-2008 10:03 AM

Make sure and test it good. My 45 needs a girdle.

DaveInDenver 06-10-2008 10:06 AM

So IPOR is the second one and the prototype Slee is the top photo?

What twist are you thinking about, Bill? The drive line twisting the cross member? Slee's looks like a Budbuilt on steroids and IPOR's looks like it's a 1/2" thick hunk of iron.

Uncle Ben 06-10-2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red_Chili (Post 76634)
Is there a vertical component to the design? To resist the twist?

What you can't see is a "L channel" cross member welded into the plate. This belly plate replaces the stock 80 cross member just like the IPOR skid does.

Here is the stock cross member and the currantly available Slee skid plate....

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/images/skid2.jpg

Uncle Ben 06-10-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver (Post 76638)
So IPOR is the second one and the prototype Slee is the top photo?

What twist are you thinking about, Bill? The drive line twisting the cross member? Slee's looks like a Budbuilt on steroids.

Correct!

This is a Cruiser not a "Dark Side" "twisted" mini! :eek::lmao::lmao: ;) Also, the IPOR is 3/8" thick with 1/4" strap spacers at the frame mounting points.

DaveInDenver 06-10-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Ben (Post 76641)
Correct! This is a Cruiser not a "Dark Side" "twisted" mini! :eek::lmao::lmao: ;)

That was my thinking. Bud's cross member for mini trucks is just formed 3/8" steel, no additional reinforcement. Seem to do OK for most 'normal' users, even with Ultimates. Bud's skids usually deform eventually, but they are either 0.120" or 3/16" and really take the beating.

Red_Chili 06-10-2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Ben (Post 76641)
Correct!

This is a Cruiser not a "Dark Side" "twisted" mini! :eek::lmao::lmao: ;) Also, the IPOR is 3/8" thick with 1/4" strap spacers at the frame mounting points.

Oh, I thought cruisers had lots of torque and therefore a fair amount of driveline twist. My mistake.

:lmao:
But seriously, if they use the stock rubber mounts that would explain it. Bud uses those, right Dave?
Mine is rigid to the Tcase, then urethane mounts outboard where it attaches to the frame. Not just minimal twist, it immobilizes the driveline and therefore saves the motor mounts. Yet no vibration. FRORF is pretty innovative. Admittedly not as much bottom protection as a Budbuilt or IPOR, but the mini transfer case is extremely tough and just needs a glide plate.
I guess cruisers are a bit more delicate, the extra protection makes sense.

:bolt:

DaveInDenver 06-10-2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red_Chili (Post 76648)
But seriously, if they use the stock rubber mounts that would explain it. Bud uses those, right Dave?

Yes, standard stock rubber transfer case mount. If you have dual cases, then one on each of the cases.

sleeoffroad 06-10-2008 12:02 PM

The skidplate is a boxed section where the transfercase mount, not a single plate. It will have internal ribs on the production models.