Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Trip and Event Reports (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Spring Creek Father's Day Run (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7400)

Rzeppa 06-15-2008 05:28 PM

Spring Creek Father's Day Run

We had a wonderful trip today. 13 rigs ranging from 40s, 60s, 80, 100, runners and mini trucks. All experience drivers with well set up rigs. No rolls, no breakage, a couple minor stucks in the Rock Garden. Lots of kids, Fathers, wives, a wonderful family day! Got out of the heat up into the high country and had a great time. Made it to the Garden by noon, Meadow by 2:00 and back on pavement shortly after 3:00. There was some traffic on the highway and my son and I took the frontage roads, but as usual it pretty much cleared out after potato springs. Photos and more narrative shortly after I upload them to the computer, cut them down to fit here, then upload them here. Happy cruisin'!

Rezarf 06-15-2008 11:09 PM

Thanks Jeff, great run and an awesome trail! :risingsun:

Sorry no pics from us today. :rolleyes: batteries were dead in the camera.

subzali 06-15-2008 11:42 PM

Did anyone do the first obstacle?

Red_Chili 06-16-2008 07:16 AM

Everybody did (except our fearless leader).
It is quite different from before, and the hole in the middle of the rock is actually convenient now.

Drew cleaned it in his 40, open with stock gears. :thumb: Drew is getting all that opportunity to become a superior driver.

The rocky ledge (the first difficult obstacle on the trail proper) is extremely different; I didn't even need to pull forward, reverse in a turn, and line up. Nope, just turn into it and drive. It is no longer a ledge. That original obstacle claimed the control arms on Red Chili 1 many moons ago, after which I drove home (25mph) in front wheel drive with a floppy rear axle.

The trail is much easier now, kinda good, kinda bad. I don't know if Brant et.al. made the changes or not.

60wag 06-16-2008 07:53 AM

The run was a blast. I'm still getting used to the different feel of the 80 from the 60 but I'm lovin' it. The lower obstacles are still quite fun if not quite as difficult as they used to be. The rock garden was a hoot. This was the first time I've tried the main route rather than the bypass. It definitely took my rig, (and driving skills) to the limit as I clogged up the trail for quite a while. A big thanks to the Morgans for the excellant spotting effort and to Adrian for stacking a ton of rocks for me. Unfortunately I didn't get to take any pictures. I am interested in seeing some of my white whale floundering in rock garden.

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.) 06-16-2008 08:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Great run! Thanks Jeff. My family had a great time. I took the 100 on the trail and it did great. I sure got good use out of the sliders (thanks Christo).

Evrgrnmtnman 06-16-2008 09:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple More Pics.

Rzeppa 06-16-2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red_Chili (Post 77345)
Everybody did (except our fearless leader).

Our fearless tailgunner, CJ Bowen did too.

Once again, thanks to everyone who came on this trip; when I did the final tally in Downieville at 13 rigs I was worried we'd be in for a REALLY long day, but everyone was experienced and came in well prepared rigs, and it turned out just fine!

Evrgrnmtnman 06-16-2008 06:18 PM

Haven't been on a trail in over a year I sided with conservatism....next time I will be there on the first obstacle........

Rzeppa 06-16-2008 06:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's Bill Morgan coming up the first obstacle in his Red Chili