Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Little Red Truck tech (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7409)

subzali 06-16-2008 05:34 PM

Little Red Truck tech

Some of this might be chat, but I'll try to add tech info here and there to keep this thread on the right track ;)

Vehicle Description:
Year: 1991
Make: Toyota
Model: Pickup
Deluxe Package
Extended Cab
Designator: RN-93
Engine: 22R-E
Transmission: Manual (unknown model)
2 wheel drive? Yes
Differential ratio: Unknown (about 1.75:1)
Extras: Leer Topper
Wheels: Steel
Stock tire size: P205/75/R14
Current Tires: P205/70/R14 BFG Radial T/A (2908- June 16-20)
Mileage: in sig line

subzali 06-16-2008 05:35 PM

Things to note when changing the timing chain on a 2wd model: to drop the oil pan:

You must remove one of the tie rods to give enough clearance for the pan to drop under the pickup.

I'm over 20,000 miles and counting on my timing chain replacement. It started making significant noise around 160-165,000 miles, I parked it at 172,000 until I could fix it. One of the mounting holes on the plastic guides was completely broken and in the oil pan, the other guide had a long crack in it but was mostly all there. I got lucky. I did not replace the head gasket, just pulled the oil pan.

subzali 06-16-2008 05:42 PM

Fuel Economy Notes:

1. I peaked out at 32 mpg during the summer of '04, but then that fall I was trying to replace my alternator belt. I couldn't see very well what I was doing, so I tried removing my MAF. I couldn't unplug the electrical connector, so tried disassembling it (thinking it would be easier? :rolleyes:). That didn't work, but when I put it back together I assembled it wrong which made a lot of bad things happen. Long story short, I had to get a MAF out of another truck. Apparently there are two different versions that are wired oppositely (i.e. the same electrical signal will either increase or decrease the air flow to the engine), and the version I have is very rare. I had to get it out of a '93 pickup (I think 4wd), and it works fine now. However, I think that was a partial cause of my fuel economy dropping. And it was a very expensive and time-consuming alternator belt replacement :eek: :rolleyes: The other cause of my lower fuel economy is my increased tire size from the 27 x 8.50 R14. Once I switch back to stock sized tires I will refigure and get a better idea of where I sit.

2. After giving it a cat-back exhaust, which fixed holes in the pipe before, in, and after the muffler, my mileage is back up to 27mpg, from a low of around 21-22 this past winter ('07-'08).

subzali 06-16-2008 05:43 PM

Weight capacity Notes:

1. I have probably exceeded the GVWR of this vehicle :D

subzali 06-16-2008 05:47 PM

Power/Speed Notes:

1. It takes a little bit for it to get up to speed, especially if on a long hill on the highway, but 4th gear is an acceleration gear at highway speeds, even on hills, and the truck is happy to cruise at 75mph. It has an easier time maintaining 75mph in 5th gear on a slight hill than 55mph in 5th gear, though 55mph gives greater fuel economy in the long run.

2. I have maxed this truck out at 99mph twice - never breached 100mph. One of these times was coasting! :eek: (Eisenhower - Silverthorne on a dry road)

3. On a normal highway (I-25 from Castle Rock to Denver) I can reach and maintain 90mph if I would like, much more than that and any loss in speed takes significant effort and time to regain.

subzali 06-16-2008 05:55 PM

Existing problems/issues that need to be addressed:

It's nice not having a monthly car payment and having fairly cheap transportation (27 mpg ain't half bad for a pickup), so I'm okay with spending a few $$ here and there to keep it running.

1. New windshield
2. Headliner needs a little repair
3. Dashboard just developed cracks, though I've used a windshield reflector for years! :bawl:
4. Rear seat belt holder got broken (plastic), should be repaired.
5. Topper liftgate struts need to be replaced.
6. Alternator is a piece of junk - NEVER BUY AN AUTOZONE ALTERNATOR UNLESS YOU WANT TO CHANGE IT OUT FOR A NEW ONE HALF A DOZEN TIMES! IF THE NEXT ALTERNATOR I GET FROM THAT PLACE (LIFETIME WARRANTY) IS JUNK LIKE THE LAST THREE, I'M GOING TO NAPA! My belt has been squealing and it can't keep up with my basic electrical requirements (headlights, heater fan, engine) at idle going to work in the dark in the wintertime! :rant: I replaced the belt along with the alternator and it still does it! :rant: EDIT: I went to NAPA and got the problem fixed. The NAPA alternator pulleys have a little bit rougher surface so they grab the belt better, whereas the Autozone pulley is very smooth. Funny how much of a difference that little detail makes. She runs happy now :D

Red_Chili 06-17-2008 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali (Post 77399)
I did not replace the head gasket, just pulled the oil pan.

With nearly 200K miles on your head gasket, you are at or beyond the service life of the head gasket. Just a thought. They do wear. There is slight movement between the head and block.

Letting a HG go too long can result in other damage, such as to the head surface (no biggie) or the block deck (biggie). DAMHIK.

subzali 06-17-2008 07:48 AM

Good point Bill. But boy that's a lot of work to replace that, I'm not sure I'm up for that right now. How many hours of labor would that be for a shop? Squishy!?

Red_Chili 06-17-2008 07:56 AM

Way too much - Squishy can give you the low down. But you really don't need to pull anything but the exhaust manifold IIRC. The head comes off pretty easy. Easier than the rest of the timing chain job IMHO.

I bet he could do it cheap as a side job though. [shameless plug] He'll make sure everything is square, flat, and copasetic.

Red_Chili 06-17-2008 08:05 AM

To be honest, another option is to let it go till it fails, then figure you are in for a complete rebuild. 200K miles ain't THAT far from refreshing.