Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Birfield - Axle Removal SST (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7547)

RicardoJM 07-02-2008 12:57 AM

Birfield - Axle Removal SST

Does anyone going to the meeting today have the SST referred to in this post. I don't have one and could use it to separate the birfields from the axles?

subzali 07-02-2008 06:11 AM

You mean the 1 1/2" sch. 40 pipe? Hardware store man :D

RicardoJM 07-02-2008 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali (Post 78729)
You mean the 1 1/2" sch. 40 pipe? Hardware store man :D

A new hardware store unit would be missing the cruiser karma that is so vital for getting that nice clean separation of the parts. ;)

Crash 07-02-2008 08:14 AM

You need one for yourself, Ricardo, and you will be building the tool's own karma as soon as you start using it!

subzali 07-02-2008 08:28 AM

There's a pipe in a hardware store, with Cruiser Karma already imparted to it, just waiting for the guy with the goatee to come walking down the aisle, pick it up, look it over for length, continuity, and sheen, and take it home with him. This piece of pipe was predisposed for this service by the Cruiser gods, and is just waiting, waiting, watching all others pass by, knowing that a special purpose was intended for it. When someone else picks it up thinking they have need of it, they must put it down, never realizing the special need, always thinking there is some other reason why they do not need to remove this piece of hardware from the store today. And still the pipe waits, knowingly.

You have to have faith bro, you have to enter the karma :D It's out there, it's waiting for you. It knows you're coming :D

4RunrFTW 07-02-2008 09:18 AM

And the best part is that if you get a nice length of schedule 80 gas pipe, it makes a great cheater bar for leverage. Which will impart even more cruiser karma. :D

wesintl 07-02-2008 09:23 AM

I don't have one, I always use my jack handle for a cheater. the couple times I borrowed the sst. You could always stop over at hinton and see if they have any scrap or buy a piece. There are other ways to seperate but none work near as well as the sched 40 pipe.

subzali 07-02-2008 09:37 AM

Yeah, don't waste your time with the vise/drift. I wore myself out for about 45 minutes thinking I was going to hurt the birfield by using the pipe, so I was beating the cage with the drift and a small sledge. Never even got the stupid thing to budge. 30 seconds with the pipe and bang! done.

Crash 07-02-2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali (Post 78760)
Yeah, don't waste your time with the vise/drift. I wore myself out for about 45 minutes thinking I was going to hurt the birfield by using the pipe, so I was beating the cage with the drift and a small sledge. Never even got the stupid thing to budge. 30 seconds with the pipe and bang! done.

You must learn how to properly apply the pipe to safely and quickly separate the birf from the axle. Dean Baranski recently called me to tell of a birf that just didn't want to separate even after a couple of hours of piping, brass hammering and lots of swearing and sweating. He was using the pipe but, it turned out, he was placing the pipe on the ground and then slamming the birf and axle up and down into the stationary pipe. The first set came apart easily with this method but the second just wasn't budging. When I told him to place the unit in the pipe and then slam the entire mess down on solid ground a light went off in his voice and he hung up the phone to give it a try. Called me back about two minutes later to say a couple of good whacks was all it took to get the parts unparted. You just have to be smarter than the pipe!
Whack on, Ricardo!! :thumb:

Red_Chili 07-02-2008 11:28 AM

FWIW, I use copper pipe. Impossible to damage the steel.

Doesn't make a good cheater bar though... :D