Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Key remote for 1996 FZJ80 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7629)

Hulk 07-11-2008 03:53 PM

Key remote for 1996 FZJ80

I've been looking at eBay for another alarm system remote for my 1996 FZJ80. I have one that works well that is pretty beat up, and one that looks good but works intermittently.

I found that you can now buy new remotes that are clones of the originals, such as:

this one for $34.50

this one for $39.99

Another just like #2 for $39.99 from a different seller

Anyone know whether these work OK? I was thinking maybe they would work better than the originals, so I would have greater range when locking my Cruiser.

Thanks,
Matt

Romer 07-11-2008 04:05 PM

Haven't used them. The key is to make sure one of the several FCC IDs match, This link has some of that info: http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...hread-faq.html

corsair23 07-11-2008 04:20 PM

Matt,

I tried the one from the second link you posted (seller = remotesandkeys) back in Jan '07 and it would not work. They sent me a second remote and it would not work either. Tried it on both the 80 and the LX and no dice. They were were helpful and the customer service was great but the remotes didn't work. I still have a business card from them and they also go by www.factorykeylessremotes.com, www.aftermarketremotes.net, and www.bigdealcenter.com - Maybe they have resolved the issue since then but I believe the problem has to do with the gray vs. black fob issue (see below and the link Romer posted)

In the end I went with used OEM ones off ebay. Took awhile but in the end I ended up with an extra Lexus and Toyota OEM fob for pretty cheap. Both work great.

I'm not sure I'd mess around with any of the aftermarket remotes unless you can find someone that posted up an exact brand confirming that it works with a '96 FZJ80.

Heck, even the color of the OEM fob matters as I found out regardless if the FCC ID is the same. I bought a "gray" OEM Toyota fob off ebay and it wouldn't work. It has to be black IIRC for '95-97 model years.

The link Romer posted has a lot of good info. In the end if you do find an aftermarket one that works let me know :thumb: - The wife broke one of hers recently so I need to get a replacement for it before she steals one of my Lexus ones :hill:

Hulk 07-11-2008 04:21 PM

Ken, did your range improve with a brand new remote?

I sent a PM to CDan.

Hants 07-11-2008 04:30 PM

Dunno. I have the super-premium Lexus alarm. Both of my fobs work great -- as long as they're within 6 inches of the drivers door! :rant:

I figured it was an "old technology" thing and didn't think that merely replacing the fob would increase the range??? :confused:

Hulk 07-11-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corsair23 (Post 79657)
Heck, even the color of the OEM fob matters as I found out regardless is the FCC ID is the same. I bought a "gray" OEM Toyota fob off ebay and it wouldn't work. It has to be black IIRC for '95-97 model years.

Do you still have the gray fob? Maybe I could use the case and transfer my black fob circuit board into it. The case on my good-working fob has broken internally where the screw threads go into the other half of the shell.

Romer 07-11-2008 04:38 PM

I don't recall on the range

An old trick. Hold the FOB to your chin while you press the button. If you think I am kidding, go try it

I bought a new Toyota one from Cdan and it works on the LX450 as well. I think it was $52

corsair23 07-11-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hulk (Post 79665)
Do you still have the gray fob? Maybe I could use the case and transfer my black fob circuit board into it. The case on my good-working fob has broken internally where the screw threads go into the other half of the shell.

Nope...Turned right around and resold it on ebay with a BIG disclaimer on it about the color.

I'll try to remember to look at the broken 80 fob I have tonight and see what part of it is broken. Maybe you can salvage a workable fob out of the two broken ones :thumb:

On the range issue - I posted this up on the MUD thread but what I have found is that the range on the LX with either the Toyota or Lexus fob is dismal but the range on the 80 with either fob is better (up to 2-3x farther) :confused: - I've read posts where some think it has to do with the positioning of the antenna in the rig but you would think it would be the same...All I know is the range on the alarm system on the LX is not near as good as it is on the 80, regardless of which remote I use.

As for the chin trick, it works :hill: - I usually try to reserve that for at night when no one is looking but I used the trick up in Grand Lake and was able to reach from the house to the LX that was at least 30' away. I was about 12' above the level of the LX at the time so maybe that had some effect.