Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Help Needed (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7806)

Nemo 07-31-2008 06:17 PM

Help Needed

Any good welders looking to work on a leak in the Y section of my Downpipe.

1997 LC 80 Series.

I went to Exhaust Pros today and they are asking me to remove the entire downpipe and then they will see what they can do. I really would like to see if I can avoid that.

I also called the Stealership and was reminded on how much those things cost. 1750 since the cats have to be included. Yikes.

If anyone has had this experience and knows of another good Exhaust shop that did this for them will you please point me to them.

BTW: I would Love to pay in :beer: or ante up some cash for this.
Thanks
John

treerootCO 07-31-2008 08:40 PM

Post a pic of what needs welded. I like :beer:

Can we also interest you in a nice suede headliner perhaps?

nuclearlemon 08-01-2008 08:49 AM

I believe these are stainless, although you wouldn't be able to tell looking at mine.

rover67 08-01-2008 10:28 AM

yeah, posta pic.you can weld stainless with regular wire.. it'll just rust.

Nemo 08-02-2008 06:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the Pics guys. I really appreciate this. I'm not wanting to spend 1700 bucks for a new one :eek:

I tried to annotate where I am having the leak. What do you guys think?

Beater 08-03-2008 10:06 AM

that's a tricky weld actually, I have done a couple on motorcycles. If it were me, I would braze it.

You will need to clean the shiat out of it though, and I mean clean. Like shiny, bass boat clean, before brazing or welding. expect about two hours. That's why no one wants to touch it. PLUS, and this is a big PLUS, you will need to "de-coke" the inside, meaning get all the carbon off. Another reason to take it off. That stuff will just clog your cats if you leave the pipe in it's normal position.

j

powderpig 08-04-2008 10:06 AM

I have done a few of these when I was at christo's shop. I just removed the Y-pipe and cats. Welded the whole Y-area with Mig welder. I did shove a 2x4 in between the pipes to move the pipe out wards a bit, so when the pipe cooled it did not move in with the weld. It only took a few hours to make it work right. You may want on had the 2 upper exhaust gasket and the one one bigger exhaust gasket to replace when you go to install it.
Good luck with this, later robbie

Uncle Ben 08-04-2008 10:32 AM

On mine when I had it done with the previous exhaust it was welded then a gusset was welded in between the tubes to eliminate more flexing. The work was done while still on the truck. It has held so far with much success!

Bruce Miller 08-04-2008 02:42 PM

Collins Muffler, Loveland, 970-669-2515.