Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   starting to collect parts for PS conv. (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7914)

CardinalFJ60 08-14-2008 02:31 PM

starting to collect parts for PS conv.

I definitely want to do PS in the '77 FJ40...and for my uses, mods, etc...I think the mini-setup is the ticket. (32" tires, small lift, etc.)

can someone let me know if this is a good start for the stuff I'll need? I've been reading Romer's thread on the install on his 40...I think this is a good start.

Thanks!

Mini-truck PS parts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have all of the power steering parts from an '87 pickup w/22RE engine. Includes pump w/pulley, reservoir, little cooler thingy that goes in front of the radiator, and the 3 hoses. Doesn't include the steering box and the hoses that go to it. All boxed up and ready to ship, weight is ~15lbs from 03079 if you want to estimate shipping costs, I'll send it out FedEx Ground.

$30 + shipping.

subzali 08-14-2008 02:41 PM

Is your block drilled and tapped (above the smog pump) for the power steering bracket? If not you can NOT use that pump unless you drill and tap your block or somehow figure out a way to get the pump mounted. This thread has pictures that show the holes in the block and also show what TJ did to make the FJ40/FJ60 pump work.

Check out this kit from JT Outfitters and that should give you a good idea of the primary pieces you need. They don't include the steering box in their kit, so you'd have to find that elsewhere.

You can buy components of their kit to help piece together a kit that will work for you.

I don't think what you posted above is what you'll need, but I may be misunderstanding...

CardinalFJ60 08-14-2008 02:46 PM

dude. thanks.

Awesome...I love getting an edu-ma-cation. Thanks for the links...

so much to learn, so much to learn... :cheers:

subzali 08-14-2008 02:48 PM

BTW the BOX is from a minitruck (EDIT: looks like solid axle '79-'85 from Romer's writeup), I'm not exactly sure what kind of pump most use, I would guess Saginaw...

SteveH 08-15-2008 08:14 AM

A few thoughts on minitruck PS....

I've done three minitruck PS conversions, and mounted the pumps in a custom way (I've never had a drilled block). You can make a custom stud for a water pump bolt, use the shock tower, and use the air pump mounts to mount the pump. I've always used minitruck pumps with remote reservoirs, and they have enough pressure to turn 33" tires. Study an FJ60 power steering/alt. belt routing - I did one FJ40 this way (using the alternator as the adjuster) and it works very nicely and is clean. The Toyota belt rides a bit high in the narrower minitruck pulley, but it's not been an issue.

You can make your own steering box mount, or buy one from JT Outfitters or CCoT ($$). You can either use a 'cruiser pitman arm or use the one already stuck to (literally) the minitruck PS box. (You may find it nearly impossible to remove). Most minitruck PS boxes have 200K miles on them, and are a bit loose - so you might check them for slop and play before you install them. I've adjusted a few (very slightly) to remove play in the system. Be sure all your tie rod ends, etc. are tight on your FJ steering setup.

What I most like about the minitruck box and pump is that you get a fairly slow response and not too much boost. If you want a quick turning wheel and '2 finger' steering, then you'll be happier with Saginaw.

I bought a prefab piece of brake line, cut the ferrules off, bent it into a series of loops, and used this as a homemade PS cooler. Works great and is stout. Recall that minitruck setups have a factory PS cooler that doesn't fit very well into an FJ40. I'm not sure they're entirely necessary, but I used it anyway.

Steve