Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Emissions testing with 35" tires? (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8208)

Hulk 09-15-2008 11:41 PM

Emissions testing with 35" tires?

What's the probability that I can go get emissions tested with my 315 tires? :(

Nick F. 09-16-2008 12:08 AM

They wouldn't let me do it.. I had to have my 33's put on. What a run around. I've heard you can request they measure the tires because 35's usually measure 33. Didn't know that at the time:tongue2:

SROR/AKA 2BAD 09-16-2008 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hulk (Post 86185)

none.

lfd270ben 09-16-2008 02:47 AM

In Boulder I tested my truck with my 38's on :D and I failed the test Bad:rolleyes: so I registered my 40 in weld county to my dad's address I guess they dont make people pass emissions up there :hill:

Beater 09-16-2008 07:53 AM

well, one of my best friends is a director for the state dept that over sees emissions/clean air. while the rule clearly states that they must measure, the over-riding rule is the safety rule that follows that immediately. I pushed this real hard, seeing as I had a copy of the statute, and got NO WHERE.

Now, the counter of it is, that one facility tried to do the full-time 4wd dyno and my 315's. It was downright scary. We, the facility manager and myself ended the test before it was finished due to fear. maybe different for 2wd/part time, but knowing what I know now, I will always borrow some wheels for testing if needed on full time.

Uncle Ben 09-16-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hulk (Post 86185)

I have a set of "e-tires" mounted on stock 80 wheels your welcome to use.

timmbuck2 09-16-2008 08:19 AM

I am close by. could swap with my 80 for the day...

nuclearlemon 09-16-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfd270ben (Post 86191)
In Boulder I tested my truck with my 38's on :D and I failed the test Bad:rolleyes: so I registered my 40 in weld county to my dad's address I guess they dont make people pass emissions up there :hill:

But you're cruiser's old enough that you don't have to dyno. tire size doesn't matter if you don't have to dyno.

nakman 09-16-2008 09:18 AM

I got denied too Matt, remember how we traded tires?

Also if you're still running your stock gas cap, it wouldn't hurt to pick up a new one- that seems to be a common failure point and for a few extra bucks you may as well do it now rather than have to take a second trip to the emissions place, which is a PITA especially when a second set of tires is involved. Or if Timmbuck's gas cap is newer than yours, borrow his! :)

Red_Chili 09-16-2008 09:20 AM

Two years ago I fought the statute issue on the advice of the state administrator of the contract with Envirotest. He wanted me to push it, as he was frustrated with them. I lost. I went to three Envirotest centers and they even had called ahead to blacklist me. Nasty folk.

Then last year Squishy got his tested with 35s at the Sheridan sniffer. Feeling less lucky, I swapped on my 33s - only to watch a Bronco go through on 35s without issue. Duh. The new supervisor at the Sheridan sniffer is a sensible fellow, spoke with him a while on the issue. He is aware of the statute - and is also a wheeler.

Oh, make sure your tires are inflated to near the sidewall max. Just sayin'.