Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1999 4runner brakes (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8350)

jjhancock 10-09-2008 02:51 PM

1999 4runner brakes

Hey gang,

I've got a friend who's repeatedly had problems with her brake rotors warping on her 1999 4Runner, and as a result her braking is quite poor. She even moved up to drilled and slotted rotors this last time around, and in less than a year they're warped again. Anyway, she knows nothing about cars and has asked me what I think. Toyota of Boulder has diagnosed the the problem and says she needs new brake rotors and pads in the front, but has given her a pretty expensive quote to get the job done right. I'm considering doing the job for her and ordering the parts from CDan to save her some money, but I'm unsure if the 4Runner has knock-off rotors or not. I know my 80 does not, and it's a more difficult job as a result. However, I know I can do knock-off rotors and new pads in short time, I'm just unsure if her 4Runner actually has knock-off rotors and if I can do the job myself. Can anybody fill me in on the difficulty of doing this job myself? Thanks in advance!

-Justin

irbis 10-09-2008 05:26 PM

tundra brake convertion, the best.

Cheese 10-09-2008 07:06 PM

Not sure about knockoff rotors, as in subpar or non-OEM?

Brakes on those are stupid easy, pull the wheel, pull the caliper, swap the rotor, repeat.

Many like swapping Tundra rotors and calipers. Get some cross-drilled/slotted Tundra rotors from Slee, some Tundra calipers with stock pads and call it good.

jjhancock 10-09-2008 09:16 PM

Ah, ok. When I said knock-off rotors I meant the rotors that come off after you pull the wheel and caliper and don't require serious hub disassembly, as in "I can just knock them off". That's great news. I'll let my friend know that I can do the job for her. Thanks again.

Hulk 10-09-2008 09:34 PM

You might need to rebuild the calipers. Her brakes may be putting uneven pressure on the rotors. If that's the case, it could explain why she keeps warping the rotors.

corsair23 10-11-2008 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hulk (Post 87994)
You might need to rebuild the calipers. Her brakes may be putting uneven pressure on the rotors. If that's the case, it could explain why she keeps warping the rotors.

Is she a "two-footed" driver? Something is causing the rotors to warp and unless she likes to just spend money replacing them she needs to figure the problem...I see a lot of two-footed drivers around town.

Maddmatt 10-11-2008 08:55 AM

Post up when you're done - I have a similar problem in my '96 - braking performance is fine but I have a shimmy at 65mph and Robbie diagnosed a warped front brake rotor a couple years ago (I know, its been awhile, but as I said the brakes WORK fine, so I drive either under or over 65). I'm thinking the two are related.

The operation looks and reads pretty simple, but I'm a 2-banana mechanic at best. Will be interested in hearing if you come across any unexpected hurdles.
Thanks
-Matt

jjhancock 10-13-2008 01:29 PM

I will post up when the problem is remedied, which will be when I find the time to tear into it. The newest problem is that the window was frozen this morning, and when she put the window down, it of course came off the tracks. So, now that it's cold and has been rainy and snowy, that's the top priority :)

In other news, the truck seems to be braking a lot better as a result of toyota cleaning up the front brakes when they did the initial inspection to quote her for the work. Definitely feels safer now, but the brakes aren't yet 100%. I'm pretty sure the rotors are ok as they're drilled and slotted, and are under a year old. I'm thinking Matt was spot on when he mentioned rebuilt calipers. I'm not sure if I'm up for that task or not considering my limited time, but whatever the fixes are, I'll be sure to post back up!

Red_Chili 10-13-2008 01:41 PM

For you cruiser guys- warped rotors are not uncommon on that generation 4Runner. DAMHIK. They can be turned though.

Romer 10-13-2008 03:30 PM

The brakes on a 99 4runner are a peice of cake. Pull off the wheel, remove the caliper (leave hose connected) and pull off rotor and slide new rotor on. I removed the pads before bolting the caliper back on and installed new pads with the caliper in place.

I used a towel (to not mark up rotor) and large (Big Mother) screw driver to open caliper pistons enough to install new pads. If the caliper is seized, it wont work.