Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   On Board Air (York 210) (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8455)

rover67 10-26-2008 11:28 PM

On Board Air (York 210)

Has anybody in the club installed a York 210 compressor to use it as an on board air compressor? If so I'm just curious about a few things....

oil control, check valves on the pressure side, unloaders, and filters on the output side...

I got one at a junk yard and am going to mount it to my vortec.

Hants 10-27-2008 11:00 AM

I've got one mounted to my 1FZ-FE, but not plumbed up yet.

That's just ONE of my in-process projects.

Here's what I "know" from my research:

1. keep the oil level to the minimum to reduce spewage
2. "mod" seems sporadically helpful, at best - many report no/minor improvement
3. mount it upright (vertical)
4. unloader/check valve doesn't appear to be necessary, but can help maintain system pressure
5. coalescing filter *before* tank and other plumbing
6. few put filters on the output side (OBA mostly used to air-up); temporary one (with quick-disconnects) used where necessary
7. many also forgo adjustable regulator (cutoff switch controls max pressure)

60wag 10-28-2008 06:56 AM

I love my York. I haven't had any problem with oil being discharged. I think I've got the mod done to reduce the oil output. My filter/seperator has a trace amount of oil in it. I did put an unloader/check valve on the output. Its probably not necessary since an unloader is usually installed to reduce startup torque when coupled to an electric motor. A regular check valve would be as good. I have had the unloader portion stick a bit and continue to dump air when the compressor is running. It might be due to the way I have it plumbed. The 2.5 gal storage tank is way in the back plumbed with a 3/8 line. I used a cheap pressure switch to control the compressor that is set to 80/100 psi. I've got a safety release valve set to 125 psi. I used an illuminated ARB switch to turn the thing on but I've got a nasty voltage back spike that'll likely blow out the light bulb soon. I tried adding a diode to stop the spike but the light still has a really bright flash when I turn it off.

The pressure switch and filter are mounted on the firewall. I used a steel braided hose to go from the compressor to the filter housing because I wanted something that would maintain strength at high underhood temps.

rover67 11-12-2008 12:46 PM

cool, thanks for the input. I got it all cleaned up and mounted during our outage. I didn't do the oil control mods and right now it seems like it pumps nice clean air... and a TON of it!

Got a pressure switch, dryer, Stainless Steel leader hose, and all kinds of other doodads to plumb it up with too. maybe a weekend project.

I am excited, this thing really moves some air!