Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Word of warning for 09 CM (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8874)

Red_Chili 01-09-2009 09:55 AM

Word of warning for 09 CM

Apparently there are a couple of BLM LEOs on a mission from God. I know the motorcycle rider posting in this post, and he is far from a scofflaw. I believe his words.

Despite the fact he is a practicing lawyer in the real world. :lmao:

Ooops! Inukshuk, I mean no disrespect!! :eek: :lmao:

Something to make participants aware of, to avert any issues. Until recently, the "Cloud9" he speaks of also worked for the BLM.

AdventureRider post on Moab BLM LEO harrassment

Hulk 01-09-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red_Chili (Post 93906)
Apparently there are a couple of BLM LEOs on a mission from God. I know the motorcycle rider posting in this post, and he is far from a scofflaw. I believe his words.

Something to make participants aware of, to avert any issues. Until recently, the "Cloud9" he speaks of also worked for the BLM.

AdventureRider post on Moab BLM LEO harrassment

Sounds bizarre. We'll talk to the BLM in advance about this to make certain everything is still the same.

What is an LEO? I am abbreviation illiterate.

DaveInDenver 01-09-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hulk (Post 93910)
Sounds bizarre. We'll talk to the BLM in advance about this to make certain everything is still the same.

What is an LEO? I am abbreviation illiterate.

Law Enforcement Officer

wesintl 01-09-2009 10:30 AM

Interesting...

Maybe they are targeting bikes. They do have the ability to travel off trail alot easier.

Jacket 01-09-2009 10:40 AM

Could be a volume issue, with the population explosion in this part of the country. Maybe they've decided they need to step of enforcement because of the sheer number of vehicles that travel to Moab. Or could be an isolated incident with a BLM officer having a bad day....

Red_Chili 01-09-2009 01:08 PM

Both Unaweep and Cloud9 had similar experiences, so it wasn't just a bad day and they were treated so rudely as to make me think it wasn't just because of the number of the vehicles. The guy was sitting in camp for pities sake, and he gets threatened with confiscation when he hasn't done anything?

:confused:

Like I say... mission from God... :rolleyes:

Hulk 01-09-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red_Chili (Post 93937)
Both Unaweep and Cloud9 had similar experiences, so it wasn't just a bad day and they were treated so rudely as to make me think it wasn't just because of the number of the vehicles. The guy was sitting in camp for pities sake, and he gets threatened with confiscation when he hasn't done anything?

That's complete crap. These BLM guys are our employees as U.S. citizens. Unless the person was doing something that looked suspicious, they should have been treated with respect. I wonder if the BLM person thought they could "get away" with it because it was only one person. I'd like to see them harass me when I've got a big group of burly 4x4 dudes standing with me.

Red_Chili 01-09-2009 01:46 PM

That was pretty much the reaction from the motorcycle crowd. I sure hope the BLM doesn't create the very oppositional noncompliance that they are trying to curb.

In any event, if I am treated thus, I will be compliant - but I will also ask for the LEO's badge number, his supervisor's name, HIS supervisor's name, and if possible to speak to them on the radio. And I will take notes. And pictures if necessary. We'll see if that tones it down or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hulk (Post 93941)
I'd like to see them harass me when I've got a big group of burly 4x4 dudes standing with me.

It would take a lot of burly to overcome a 1911 .45ACP.

Bruce Miller 01-09-2009 06:07 PM

LEO's

I would hate to see you guys, or anybody at CM09, get into trouble with a federal agent. A couple of burly dudes, or a 45, donít help, either. Remember, too, when you appear in court, the only thing that counts is what the LEO says. And, the judge will always side with the LEO. After you put the kids to bed tonight, fire up the computer, get on YouTube and go to ďBusted: The citizenís guide to surviving a police encounter.Ē Itís 45 minutes long, but it could be difference between protecting your 4th Amendment rights as opposed to wishing you hadnít given up those rights.

And speaking of CM09 in Moab, UT, keep in mind that LEOís in Utah, Texas, and Arizona, in an effort to reduce costs in DUI cases, have done away with the breathalyzer. Officers are now permitted to draw blood to prove drivers are drunk.

Red_Chili 01-09-2009 07:57 PM

FWIW, the 1911 .45ACP I referenced would be the LEO's, not the burly dudes'... :lmao: