Rising Sun Member Forums

Rising Sun Member Forums (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/index.php)
-   Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Route to E-hill (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=9679)

Jacket 04-16-2009 09:50 AM

Route to E-hill

I'm signed up for the Elephant Hill run on Thursday, and had a couple questions. Is the "standard" route to get to the trailhead to take 191 south from Moab to 211, and then take 211 west into the Park/trailhead? If so, is there a logical place on that route where I could meet up with someone and safely leave a car for the day?

I ask because my wife and kids are going to be coming up from Cortez (through Monticello) to meet up with me mid-week. They were going to come to Moab on Wednesday afternoon, but I might try to make a plan and just meet them Thursday morning near US191 and 211 since its on their route to Moab and would save them an extra 80 mile round trip.

I'm not sure who's leading the run that day, but if any of you that have done it with CM have some suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Crash 04-16-2009 10:03 AM

The parking area at Newspaper Rock would work for that purpose. It's about half way between 191 and the park entrance, plus it is a REALLY cool place.

Red_Chili 04-16-2009 11:22 AM

And the group will be stopping there anyway, so you won't impact schedule (always important on that run, and leaders have been known to get fussy about such things). :thumb:

subzali 04-16-2009 12:08 PM

if that doesn't suit you you could pay to get into the park and park at the ranger station near the entrance.

Jacket 04-16-2009 12:19 PM

What are the time gates for the run?

Leave Moab at X am
At the trailhead airing down at Y am
Moving by Z am

wesintl 04-16-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzali (Post 104046)
if that doesn't suit you you could pay to get into the park and park at the ranger station near the entrance.

I would think the visitor center\ranger sta would be better than Newspaper rock too. I don't remember the rough times. Cheeseman/hulk/brucemiller would be your best info.

Hulk 04-16-2009 03:44 PM

The parking lot at Newspaper Rock is too small to leave your car for the day. Best bet would be to call them and ask if you would need to pay a double entrance fee to park your car at the big parking lot at the visitor's center. Their phone number is 435-719-2313. You can also contact them by email.

I wouldn't personally have any issue with leaving my own car on 211 near the intersection where you turn off from 191. There is plenty of space to do so. It would make an easy spot to meet the group, since we usually stop there to let the slower vehicles catch up to the leaders and make sure no one misses the turn.

We usually depart at 7:00 a.m. sharp from the south end of Moab. You can calculate the mileage to the intersection of 211 and figure how long it will take you to get there at 50 mph.

Air Randy 04-16-2009 06:48 PM

50 MPH! :eek: MAN were going to be flying! I better make sure the ol' 40 is going to be up to it for that length of time:thumb:

Bruce Miller 04-17-2009 08:40 AM

It's about 37 miles from Moab to the 211 turnoff. On past trips, we've left Moab at 7:00 AM and are usually at or near the 211 turnoff about 8:00AM, give or take a little due to traffic or letting slower drivers catch up.

From the 211 turnoff, it's about another 31 miles to the trailhead but that's slower driving than on 191 plus we usually stop at the Newspaper Rock parking lot to see the pictographs and use the outhouse. We are usually airing down at the visitor's center parking lot about 9:00AM give or take, again, since some visit the last flushing toilet of the day. From the Visitor's Center, it's about another 10 minute drive to the trailhead.

My choice for where to park a car for the day would be the Visitor's Center parking lot. Even if you have to pay for both cars, I'll bet it's the safest.

Jacket 04-17-2009 09:12 AM

Very good info - thanks all!