View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I think the Kenwood is easier to program than the Yaesu, so I'm not as intimidated by that as I may have been a few years ago. Actually still leaning towards the Kenwood, will try to get down to HRO in the next couple weekends to play with one.

Having the mic come from the base unit may not be that bad actually- if I'm going to mount that under the driver's seat, and clip it to the middle hump somewhere, maybe the center of the dash, then that actually could be pretty clean. Again, I need to see one first.
http://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/Manual...lish%20O-M.pdf

Mic definitely connects to the base vs the front panel per the manual (pg 92). Not a deal killer, just another wire to run from the rear but...

This thread got me to thinking as I was preparing to buy the FT-8800 despite the fact that the buttons don't light up (still wondering why Yaesu would do that). The Kenwood is nice but looking at the manual for the install I'm not sure I like how the face plate gets mounted (pg 91). Seems big and bulky compared to the Yaesu way.

Didn't Corbet end up buying the Kenwood back when?

Decisions, decisions, decisions
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater