View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
I checked the fuses and the top 20 amp was broken and I replaced it.
That fuse is for the lights (headlights, tail lights, etc.). They should work no matter what the ignition switch is doing.

Quote:
So on to my technical questions. How do you test the Start position of the ignition switch?
The quickest method is to disconnect the wire that goes to the starter solenoid, connect a voltmeter to it and the other lead to ground, and check for battery voltage when the switch is turned to the crank position. If you have voltage, then the switch, wiring and fuse are all good and the solenoid is bad (assuming good ground from starter to frame). You can also do what you did below and simply bypass direct from battery + to the solenoid and see if the motor cranks.

If no voltage, then check the fuse (it will be one of the 3 bottom ones, which pass through the ignition switch to power their loads).

If the fuse is good then it is either the switch or the wiring/connections. I've never had the switch out of mine, but if you can access the connections and see if voltage is going in, but not coming out of the terminal that goes to the solenoid then the switch is bad. Is seems from your follow up post that is your case.

Quote:
If my ignition switch tests to be faulty at Start - what is an appropriate way to set up a hot wire so that HutHut can drive the truck while a new switch is on its way?
It sounds like you've got it figured out. Just jump direct from battery + to the solenoid.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/