View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Rising Sun member

I got home at 3:53 this morning.

It started nice and spooky:

Then it got more spooky on a steep, slick hill. My assessment: a sprung-over FJ40 with no anti-wrap bar. Sounded like a 350 under the hood, no lockers so high wheel speed, and one big bounce. Broken pinion. I'm immediately above him and everyone in front of me is quite a ways in front of me and probably not able to render assistance. We started getting those who were lower turned around while we figured out what to do. I hooked up my winch to a tree to keep me from sliding backwards, then backed down and strapped him away from a tree he had slid into, then when we unhooked he slid a few more feet into another tree. Got an FJC involved from below to swing his back end back onto the trail, then we pulled the diff cover, driveshaft, bearing caps, ring gear, and broken pinion and then reassembled the bearing caps as best we could so he could keep his rear axles in place and limp off the trail and home. Then we short-strapped him all the way back to the trailhead where he limped home in front wheel drive.

There was gear oil involved, and where was Ige?
Oh well, we have the TT technical writer here so we're good

Very SPOOKY indeed...

My old boss Gary (in his FJ60 "Ol' Grateful") followed them all the way to Evergreen where they lived. Everyone got off the trail safe, nobody got hurt.

And yes, it would seem that pulling the 3rd member housing would actually be a lot easier than trying to assemble the bearing caps etc. while still in the truck. Oh well you live and you learn.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD