View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'll only upload some highlight photos, since I know everyone was taking a lot of really good pics and hopefully they'll post up.

PART I

The trip for Perry and Sean started on Saturday as they met at the rendezvous point in the South portion of Dinosaur National Park. Daniel and I hit the road from Denver on Sunday and met up with Perry and Sean on the Northern part of the Park near the Gates of Lodore. Perry and Sean were already liquored up by the time we rolled in and set up camp, so we quickly joined in the revelry. It was already looking to be a great trip as we cracked cold ones along the Green River. The trees were in full color and the weather was perfect.

Our camp the first night and a couple of pics of the river.

The next morning we awoke to sunny skies and made tracks towards Browns Hole, one of Butch Cassidy's hideouts. Other than a few rafters and a couple of hunters, we didn't see anyone, which was the trend as we made our way towards Wyoming. Lots of wide open spaces, amazing scenery and lots of dirt roads to explore. We crossed over the Swinging Bridge as we entered the Hole and were informed by hunters from Indiana that we had better not go that way or else we would scare the elk. Wouldn't want to scare them before they get a bullet through the chest and are eaten.. The bridge was fun and you could feel it move under the weight of your rig.

Swinging Bridge and Browns Hole.

We passed by Jarvies Outpost along the river and stopped for a quick pit stop and checked out the restored homestead cabins and views. I could live there, what a great location.

After our rest stop we made haste towards Wyoming. We crossed some wide open country headed towards Rock Springs and our second camp. My 40 had been running a little rough, and it was getting progressively worse. I had contacted Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters who would be meeting us in a couple of days and he had some parts we thought would remedy the trouble. But, it's a 40, and it hadn't left me stranded, yet. I was getting about 7 miles per gallon with intermittent backfires, so when the group tore off at 80 mph on the smooth stuff, I puttered along at 45 and took pics along the way. I finally caught up awhile after they stopped for gas in Rock Springs and we refueled, resupplied, and met up with our official Rock Springs guide Wyatt. (Thanks for the tour Wyatt!!)

Between Brown's Hole and Rock Springs.

Once we were set up with more fuel, beer and firewood (what else do you need on a camping expedition?) we headed towards the Killpecker dunes and our next camp. Wyatt was waiting for us near the turnoff and guided us to an excellent campsite in a sheltered canyon not too far from the dunes. I was glad to be at camp because my 40 was not running well at this point. We had a great cookout, drank some suds and chilled by the campfire well into the night. In the morning as we waited for our tents to thaw, we enjoyed breakfast and coffee and the assortment of weaponry the group had brought. No animals were killed, but several oranges met a brutal ending. Thanks for sharing the ammo Wyatt and Sean! (I'm looking for an assault rifle if anyone has a spare ) I hope Daniel posts up some pics. He was shooting both gubs and his slick camera, and it looked like he got some good ones of our target practice session.

Camp near the dunes.

KDGWM

Last edited by MDH33; 10-25-2009 at 10:26 PM.